Need your .02

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southern Lawns, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Customer has approx 3700 Sf grass area in backyard 2500 Sf is either dead, dirt or weeds. They fixed the reason for it's current state (Irrigation and poor maintenance). They want to have sod put in. All the sod I have installed in the past three years of business have either been a fresh install or I cut out the bad area, treat, level and sod. They want me to cut a few corners and save a few bucks. they want me to treat existing area with non selective and wait a week and sod on top of old. Anyone ever done it. The soil to sod contact should be good since most of the area is sand/dirt anyway. Just never did it that way and wondered what you would do.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

im not to sure myself, but what some people do is say u do it my way or not at all. also u might want to request this to be moved over to landscape forum, those guys seem to know everything about sod lol :D

3. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

You need to core it then at least put 1" of loam. If you just lay it down it will cost your cust double to fix it.

4. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

If you use a non-selective you are going to have to wait about 8 to 12 weeks Non selective kills everything and leaves reidue in the ground. you have to let the chemical dissapate. Most of the time if you turn the soil add a layer and apply a basic pre-emergent you should be ok then just follow up with a regular chemical program after the sod is established. the sod should choke out any weeds until the grass is established.

5. King City Lawns

King City Lawns LawnSite Member

I would not suggest cutting that corner. The existing grass will create a sub-layer in the lawn. To save a little you could till the lawn level it out and then be sure to roll it well before and after you lay the new sod. This will save a little labor with out jeopordizing the integrity of your new sod.

6. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

If I read the post right(he sead that they put irrigation in). so I would not till it.( you could hit the lines) If I am wrong aboat the irrigation part, till it.

7. King City Lawns

King City Lawns LawnSite Member

oops.. must have missed that first time around..... You could however mark all heads and lines then till.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

At least aerate it. Probably double aerate it to break up the ground some.