Need your 2cents on clips

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, May 18, 2008.

1. I'm trying to find an alligator clip that will consistently bite through the insulation of the wires in the controller to allow for quick pigtail hookup for those that don't want to install a pigtail permanently. Alligator clips pop off the screw terminals and they don't work on hifi connectors. Mueller sells these but nail style need to be squeezed in for contact. Any suggestions? Don't want to leave stripped wires for clips.

http://www.muellerelectric.com/telecom_clips.html

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Hey I got your PM. Thanks. Listening to you and also one of the supply house managers, I don't think I would want one with the clips. He told me of another company frying a remote and at least one controller due to his guys hooking up wrong or the clips coming off and contacting what they shouldn't.

3. The clips are just like the ones on the station masters and they are big....
    I have one 12 zone pigtail with small insulated Radio Shack clips and they work fine on screws..

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

He,s not looking to attatch to screws . He,s looking to peirce the wire unless I read it wrong.

5. nylan8888

nylan8888 LawnSite Member

You can install someting like this on the screw terminal so you have something in place to connect to on properties that you service on a regular basis.
    http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_83-62X.htm?sid=CFC2EFFA4A5C5A105BB0A644033D7209

6. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Just strip the wire back alittle bit farther. Then you can hookup to the wire. You should NOT have any issues with the clip coming off.

7. I know that but the clips he was showing are huge and will cause more trouble than good. The clips he was showing are a pain in the A$$ piercing the wire unless you are piercing into telephone wire ...I was stating I use the Radio shack clips on screws without any problems .....

8. Its nice when those are available but you might as well install the pigtail permanently if you are going to rewire the terminal strip. The FLUKE Corp makes some pretty nice and pricey clips available through GRAINGER. This hook style really appeals to me if it would penetrate the insulation.

http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/A...=FlukeUnitedStates&category=OBS(FlukeProducts)

9. I agree with you. I replace the clips on the station master with ones that are more practical.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Mueller used to make copper alligator clips with a piercing needle, but one supplier told me they might be discontinued due to their popularity with car thieves bypassing the ignition switch. I'd think a plunger-type of hook clip could work in tight spaces.

hook_clip.jpg