Need Your Advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhawk71, Aug 16, 2004.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Ok, I'm 14 years old and have been mowing yards for the past 3 summers, with a 36" wb. Just recently I bought a used 48" Wright Stander. My problem is should I keep the 36". I know I can use it on backyards but only one of my customers right now has a fence that is to small for the stander. I will be turning 15 in October and I'm debating whether I should kept the 36" and buy a trailer in the spring and try to expand my business. When your 15 in Kansas you can only drive to work and school but I would think mowing would count as a job. Currently I walk or ride the stander to all my accounts, but if I were to get a trailer I would try and expand into other neighborhoods in a 5 mile radius, but nothing a cross town. In the spring I don't play any sports, so there are no time issues, however in the fall I play football so if I grow to much I wont be able to keep up. I don't plan on purchasing any more equipment any time soon both mowers have under 500 hrs.

So is it practical, or should I sell the 36" and buy a trailer when I'm 16, and look to expand then. In the fall I will only have around 25 hrs a week to mow. Also both mowers are paid for.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jhawk71

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Without a 36, as you know you'll be limited to lawns without fences (which ain't so bad, IMO). If you think you can grow your business like that, maybe sell the 36 and get the trailer. Keep in mind that at some point you'll need a 36 again in the future. At 14 years old, I'm assuming you still live at home...LOL, so everything you make is money in your pocket. Is there anyway you can save for the trailer AND keep the 36?

3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i would keep the 36" you dont realize how great they are to have around till you go to bigger equipment and think you can cut it with a 21" then pray for your 36" back

4. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Hoolie,
    If I were to sell the 36" I still have a 21" that I would use for backyards instead. Since both mowers are payed for all the money I make this fall would be put toward a trailer. Nothing fancy just something big enough to carry both mowers. Like you said since I live at home I have a extremely overhead. Just what I spend on gas and maintenance. The thing that bothers me is if I sell the 36" I know I am going to have to buy another down the road. In my eyes thats wasted money.
    I appreciate the help
    Jhawk71

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

jhawk,

Yes, definitely you could get by with the 21".

The way I look at it, if you sell the 36", you get the trailer and more customers quicker, and more revenue. If you keep the 36", no trailer, fewer customers. Just keep in mind how big you want to get and how soon. Like you said, you've got football coming up.

Sounds like you're a lot smarter than most of the 14 year olds in my neighborhood.

6. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Hoolie,
    I appreciate the response. I think I might've made my post a little confusing. Both mowers are paid for. Either way I wouldn't buy a trailer till next spring. The money I make this fall would be put toward the trailer. I guess I'm trying to say sell the 36" now and keep what I have been doing, no trailer. Keep the 36" and buy a trailer in the spring, or sell the 36" and get a trailer, and just use the 21" But like I said both mowers are paid for and the money coming in this fall is more than enough to pay for a trailer. It's just I don't know if I am rushing into the business remember I won't turn 15 till October. Also it will be harder for me to get customers due to the fact that I am only going to be 15 next spring.
    Keep the help coming.
    Jhawk71

7. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Jhawk,
    You need to enjoy your sports and school activities whil you are young. Keep the size of your business manageable and enjoy your youth. You will have PLENTY of years to grow and expand. Do good work and the extra accounts that you are thinking of getting now will still be there years to come. Just because you see dollar signs with extra work that could be done, don't shut out your other interests. All work and no play......

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Kid, you're WAY ahead of your game. If you're not turning 15 until next October, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Keep the 36 for now, as you won't really have use for the trailer just yet. I DO have to say that you are thinking and planning (rationally) so far ahead, that you will PROBably be very successful at whatEVER you do, if you keep applying yourself to it. You remind me of Eric (Frankenscag), another younger member on here, who everyone has sort of "adopted" as their "smart stepson they never had".lol What may happen, is over time, you may gain enough revenue in time to get a trailer WITHOUT having to scarifice a piece of equipment to do it. One thing about having two, is that you always have an extra if one goes down. Good luck to you, and I think you'll do alright.

9. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Jhawk,
    If at all possible, I would keep the mower. You have a back-up if you ever need one. A trailer that would work for your situation will not be a huge monetary expense. By the way, good job on your motivation with work and school. Your parents should be proud. Don't forget to take time and be a kid though. Good job.