Need your expert recomendations....

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bowyorang, Jan 25, 2005.

1. bowyorang

bowyorang LawnSite Member

Hello everyone. Like a lot of others, I try to do a little searching to find just the right items that I'm going to purchase and my latest adventure has led me here. I did some searching on here before I decided to post to see if anyone has asked a simular ? to the one that I have, but alas, noone with the exact circumstances has posted before.
    So, here is my ? to you.
    I'm in the market for a new residential mower. I have about 2acres to mow. Most of which is pretty bumpy terrain (Use to be a field I think. Almost like your riding over rows.) Several trees and obstacles to go around, and the trees have small roots that run on top of the ground in some places which make it even more bumpy. As long as I keep my blades up a little it's not too much of a problem though, just bumpy.
    I been looking at a few differant models and would like to know what you guys think, and if you have any other suggestions for me to take a look at.
    Here is the list of mowers I thinking of...Also, my max budget is about $2500.
    1. John Deere Model L130 23hp. 48" w/Kohler engine.
    2. Husqvarna Model GT2254 6speed 22hp 54"
    3. Cub Cadet Model 1050 Kohler 26hp
    4. Craftsman 25hp Model27610 Kohler 54"
    These are all lawn tractors (except maybe the cub, can't remember).
    What I'm really wanting is the best quality and one that can handle my yard without falling apart after a few years.
    Thank you all for your help, and if you do have any other suggestion please let me know. Just remember I am on a budget and really can't go any higher that the $2500.
    Thanks,
    Micah

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I believe you would be better served buying a 48" belt drive commercial walk behind for about the same 2500 your budget allows, rather than a residential rider.
    A rider of any ilk will fall apart on 2 acres of bumpy lawn.
    Once you have the 48" belt drive you can add a sulky to ride on rather than walking when your budget allows.
    Buying quality always works to your advantage in the long run.

3. bowyorang

bowyorang LawnSite Member

dvmcmrhp52-Thanks you for your advice. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm a lazy guy or anything, but I'd much rather ride than walk...Exspecially since it's usually around 100deg. here during the summer with high humidity. And also, since I've been fighting the yard with a 15yr old ford lawn tractor for the last few years I want to be able to put my wife out there and let her have it once in a while :D . I don't think she would really be able to handle one of those. Although it probably would be the best mower for the job.
    Any others?

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

personally I'd stay away from the husky and the craftsman.............but that's just my opinion.
    For 2500 bucks, and no interest in a walk behind your choices are limited to the type of rider you've mentioned.
    I'd probably go with the cub,if for no other reason than being involved in the developement of the deere L100 series during prototyping and in my opinion they aren't worth the asking price.
    Just my opinion.................

5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The term "walk behind" may be a little decieving. If you get a sulky, you have a little platform that you stand on and it just pulls you along - no walking at all. That is probably the best route.

As far as your wife goes, I bet that she could handle it. Sure, it would take some getting used to - they all do - but once you get the hang of it, it is really quite easy.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would take a look at a 48" belt walkbehind. as said you can put a sulky behind it and stand on that instead of walking.

just as an option, you may want to look at the quick 36 www.betteroutdoorproducts.com

the deck size is probably a little small for the size lot you are doing, but it is a single hydro which means you don't have to shift between gears all the time. take a look at the step save sulky on their website to. btw, I would not recomend the quick 36 fox unit, it will not pull a sulky and may be under powered. I would recomend the the 13 hp unit.

other than that your probably gona have to stick with the rider idea. find out who actually makes the machines. I suspect that MTD makes all them besides the john deere which is made by scotts.

7. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

So TC, do they ship them to HI? :)

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yes they do and I have one. btw, the shipping here is killer. it wasn't to bad to get the mower over here ($245) because better paid for it to get to the west coast, but for the sulky wich there is no free shipping its a 1/3 ($80) of the price to get it here :dizzy:

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I don't know about Micah's wife, but I can assure that my wife could NEVER operate a walk behind mower! Not even the simplest kind. She is just plain intimidated by stuff like that. She's not even comfortable driving my pick up truck.
    She's a wuss!! ;-)

So Micah, I think you should stick with your plan for a lawn tractor. But since I don't really know much about them, I can't really advise you on a particular brand. I would probably say to stay away from the Craftsman though, and maybe the Husky too.
    I'd lean towards the Deere or the Cub just based on what I hear about them here on lawnsite (no personal experience).

Just be sure to keep up with the preventative maintenance and you should be alright.

10. dkheckman

dkheckman LawnSite Member

I would stay a way from the Husky. I bought a new one last year and have had nothing but trouble with it including the front wheel falling off, the brakes locking up and not releasing, and creep in the hydro when it is in neutral. I would probably go with the Deere or C.C.