Need Your Expertise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DaveFame, Oct 31, 2003.

1. DaveFame

DaveFame LawnSite Member
    from Philly

I am responsible for the upkeep of the lawn at my work, my job basically depends on its apperance. The lawn is approx. 4 acres and is on a steep downgrade. I work at an indoor/outdoor concert pavillion and during the summer concert months the lawn holds 18,000 people. I would be fine if the people just would just stand/sit and watch the shows. They do not. They abuse the lawn like I have never seen. Between the dancing and discarded trash, the lawn is 1/2 dirt by the end of the season.

The things going against me are as follow:

- the dirt gets severely compacted to a depth of about 2 inches and the grass can't grow back through.
    - the lawn is on a steep downgrade and the run-off fron rain washes off all the seed and product that I place down
    - Before I started working thewre, someone though it would be a great idea to throw down truck loads of sand. It has made the soil completely silty.
    - There is only days in between shows and I do not have enough time to get it to start back up.

The attached picture is what I can get done with aeration, seeding and stater fert.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

dscf0003.jpg

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

get a new job:)

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

cha cha cha cha chiiiiiaaaaa!!!!

4. Davo

Davo LawnSite Member

LMAO BS

Could always paint it, Lesco carries a turf paint.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

have u tried slit seeding or hydroseeding u could try the turfblankets they use on golf courses to help in the cold
    is there any time at all that people are off it?
    big roll sod?
    GREEN CEMENT:D

6. DaveFame

DaveFame LawnSite Member
    from Philly

The thought of painting it crossed my mind. But it would turn into a mess when when it rains and I have thousands of drunk kids rolling around and sliding down the hill in it.

7. Davo

Davo LawnSite Member

Yeah, i was just joking, couldn't paint an area that size. Sounds like you need to keep people off of it for a while, maybe try annual rye with whatever seed you are using (Fescue?) Or see if they will section off small plots, and rotate the plots when you get a good stand of grass going. Good luck!!

8. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

yeah Davo, Keep people off it for a while..... :rolleyes: Its a place for concerts, you can't have concerts without poeple

9. Davo

Davo LawnSite Member

trob,
    you just figure that out all by yourself? Very good!
    How about the week Vanilla Ice plays, should be a good time to try getting grass to grow...

10. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest