1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need your imput

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by malojeer, Mar 21, 2005.

1. malojeer

malojeer LawnSite Member

due to amount of new customers we are buying another ZTR mid mount.
    I have a grasshopper 223 and am very satisfied. It seems to do well on hillsides My question is which ZTR does the best on hillsides? This will influence our purchase.
  2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

malojeer, welcome to lawnsite.

I work in Cullman as well.

I have the Exmark ztr and it scares me on any kind of slope. I use the walk behind on anything that the Z wont handle.
  3. TotalLawnConcepts

TotalLawnConcepts LawnSite Member

This is what I would recomend, We tried having Z's in on our rigs and found that on hills and difficult terrain, we were faster with a walk behind. We have actually increased our speed, plus we were able to purchase 2 walkbehinds for the price of 1 Z well a little more. Walkers are the way to go in my opion, the LAZY Z, only makes your employees LAZY, and when they are not paying attention is when you have accidents.
  4. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

5. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

actually the Hustler ATZ, but I have not demoed one, they are designed for slopes, that being said, most Walker's come stock with a 48 bagging deck, which kinda sucks on hills if you are bagging, but a 52 or greater Side discharge turns a Walker into a Hill Huggin Fool of a mower. No one on this site believes it until they get their side discharge, large deck on one. You have to know how to use it tho, on a 30 degree slope I kind of do a modified curve where I go side to side, but arc up and ride the slope , then dive down. I will get some pics this week!!!