Need your input on F-350

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Sep 12, 2000.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What do you guys think of this truck. It is a '92 Ford F-350. It is a diesel w/ 180,000 miles. Its a crew cab w/ cloth interior. They want $7000 for it. Will these trucks really last 300,000- 400,000 miles? Goig to test drive it this weekend, but what is the pulling power like and what is the pickup like?

2. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

never owned one but my bud has one. It all depends on what it was used for., if it was used for construction and lots of dust was around its probably gonna be a little worn naturally. On the other hand if, the most imortant thing, it was maintained well (oil changes etc.) then the motor with 180,000 miles is nothing you can expect easily 250,000 out of the stroker motor which i beleive that is. Pulling power is excellent and i would mainly look at maintinance records if available deisels are expensive to fix =).
  3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

ooooooooooops forgot my bud 1 with 300,000 original hard miles, still pulls backhoe the other has 150,000 daily construction driven , runs great!!!
  4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure u find out the history on the 350, like it the trans has been replaces if the u-joints often go bad, and just simple thing that might make it a bad buy. Find out what he has been using it for weather it be pushing snow, or pulling a trailer. If it has 4x4 make sure you try that out on your test drive. but if everthing checks out you might be able to get 300,000 off the stroker depending on how u treat it.
  5. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a lot of miles!! I don't care what kind of engine it is. I bought a used f-250 hd. I will never buy a used truck again. I put so much money into it, it made me sick. Just remember that you don't know what this thing has been through, no matter what he says. Be careful and make a wise decision that is best for you. THere is always another truck out there, you don't have to buy this one.
  6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnworks: I hate to sound negative but most people who buy a truck like that usually work/pull the snot out of it. Sometimes you can find the guy who bought it because he thought it was cool to pull the boat or RV with on weekends.
    I suggest taking it to a diesel shop and have it looked over if you're serious. But keep your eye open as soon as you buy something a bigger better deal will show up tomorrow.