need your input

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by keifer, Jan 27, 2002.

1. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Guys I will soon be buying some new hedge clippers and most of the lco's around here use the home series of the better brands like shindawa and so on. I have made up my mind to go with stihl the home ones are 279 bucks where the good ones are 359 but the reps are coming and can get 10% off any stihl stuff. so my question is what do you guys use home or good ones.

2. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have the Stihl HS45 (I think) and the FS 85T Extended hedger.

Both have run solid for 2 years (still going). The 45 has developed starting issues, I haven't takin it in, I just know what it takes to crank her. (once cold-cranked, she never stops)

The hedger that ECHO makes w/ 30" shaft is quickly becoming the favorite though. Its not as uncomfortable as others. It fills in the gap as "not too small - not too BIG"

3. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I use the double sided 26 inch Mauryama trimmers. They are commercial grade and work really well. They will cut 3/4 dia limbs with ease. For extended trimmers I bought a T-230 shin weed wacker as a back up. At the same time I purchased the AH 230 articulating trimmer head which has an 18 inch double bar( I took this route casue it saved money..bout 100 bucks plus I look at it like I got a free trimmer head):D I rented a set of stihl trimmers long ago before I bought mine and I did not like them. They had the guards for the blades. I am sure they have made better trimmers since..just never have tried them. Go with commercial..it is well worth the extra money..you get what you pay for and it will show with work performance

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Now theres an idea! Rent different ones till you find what you like. I would think rental ones are usually more commercial type than homeowner since they get used 'n' abused so much.

5. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

As far as hedgers are concerned, I think Echo and Stihl are fairly comparable, I have had an Echo for three years without any downtime...but Stihl offers a comparable product......It is pretty much up to the user (which is you) and what you feel more comfortable with...I am in the market for a decent extendable chain saw, so If any of you guys have had any experience (good or bad) with a product please advise....ET

6. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a pair of Tanaka hedgetrimmers which cut great, and are beautifully balanced. They are worth checking out.