Need your opinion / expertise: creek bed thing

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by mdvaden, Jun 10, 2006.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm supposed to bid on a creek bed. Total, it will be 120 feet long. The lower half is a gentle grade and the upper half is level off to the side of the swimming pool deck.

To avoid a bunch of grade change, this is planned for the lower 1/2 to be a running creek bed. The upper part will connect visually, but will be a dry creekbed. Except that a small little fountain rock will be at the head of the dry section.

I had planned on using two concealed reservoirs and two pumps. For the lower running creek, I figured that a concealed 150 gallon preform pond shell would be sufficient.

The little fountain rock for the dry creek would also need it's own little reservoir.

Now, the idea is this. I'm considering putting a second pump in the lower reservoir for the running creekbed, to also supply the tiny rock above - probably no more than a 350 gph pump on that. I think an 1800 gph will more than suffice for the main running creek.

If I do this, it means not need to route power conduit 100' extra. I'd probably use fittings to run the main distance for water line with PVC instead of the flex hose. That would be 100 feet sideways, and only 2' of elevation / head.

With such a small second feature and pump, does this sound feasible to you?

Ever done something like that?

Does PVC sound good to go the 100 feet?

(By the way, I don't fill the reservoirs with rock. I cut and stack ADS covered with a mesh, with a film of river rock on top so the whole cavity is hollow. It would remain a full 180 gallons for the more part.
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Still looking for opinions.

But I'll add, that while driving to the coast today, I was brainstorming this. I may try to make the whole thing one creek. I'm planning on running a Barretto rototiller down the length to loosen and carve the bed. If I go deep enough on the level yard by the pool, and a bit deeper on the slant, I think it will work if I seal the overlapping liner well. It may still need 2 pumps, because it's likely to still have water coming in at the top end, and then from a point at the side too.