1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need YOUR opinion on this mower selection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gilatplc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

OK so Im in the maket for second ztr heres what im thinking of, (all mower are going to be 60 inch and hp no les then 27)

-1,is exmark lazer Zxs
    -2, is exmarkturk tracker (just thinking of it??)
    -3,is dixie chopper LT27
    -4,is dixie XG2703
    -5,is dixie XFG2700
    The thing is that the dealer kinda dowen played the cut dixie perforemed and I am realy a PITA when It some to a quaity cut (the reasion why I need a big mower to do what my 218 hopper is not doing whell at all) and i know that the exmark will provide the cut Im looking for but I like the price deal and speed of the dixie.
    Also how do the dixie,s do with commercial properys??

Thanks Gil
  2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler Super Z from what I've heard.
  3. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I would steer away form the eXmarks unless you can get an 05 ultracut. There are many people on here unhappy with the cut of the new triton. Do a search on it and you'll see what I mean.

My pick on your list would be the Dixie 2700. You won't use all of its speed all the time, but there are instances I wish I had more speed. Dixies cut is also very good, not to mention the array of cut enhancements they have avalable.
  4. gilatplc

from FL

Ya I was just reading the MEANY unhappy post about the new triton I just whould like to here wheat Ya have to say about the dixie cut.
    what kinda cut should I expect with no mods from the dealer?
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You must have missed all the bad Xmark post on the new Triton deck. Go to the Exmark forum and read about the Triton. It's bad. If you can find an 05 Exmark like prostriper says go for it. I know Dixie is a good mower but know nothing about the cut. You don't have a Scag or Hustler dealer around?
  6. gilatplc

from FL

In that same dealership he has scag,dixie,exmark,grasshopper,
    I asked about scag and he told me not to go for scag
    Hustler is no pleae near

And no I missed all of that stuff on the exmark page, Im just kinda shoked, exmark is such a good mower,,,,
  7. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

I'm curious what you don't like about the Grasshoppers. There are things I certainly don't like about my 928 diesel, but I will say the quality of the cut is excellent in my book. Since it's a frontmount 61", you do have to be careful about scalping on even slightly uneven terrain.
  8. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have two scags and an exmark. The 60"exmark(2000 model) cuts, and stripes very good, but has trouble with plantain stems. The 72" Scag (2005 model)cuts very clean, even plantain stems, but stripes don't stand out quite as much. Since my customers never mention the stripes, I assume that they really don't care as long as its cleanly cut. The 52" tiger cub (2003)is equal to the exmark on cut and striping, and with 24x12x12 bar treads (borrowed from grasshopper) it will go anywhere. Never had it stuck. Can't say that about the exmark. My next mower will be another Scag or Maybe a super z.
  9. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

This post is unacceptable because you did not tell him anything that he can base his decision on. WHY is dixie junk? Have you even owned a dixie? If not, how many hours have you demoed a dixie? What features didn't you like about a dixie? Saying something is junk without an explanation doesn't cut it.