Need your opinion on which walker...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Rock, Oct 9, 2002.

1. The Rock

The Rock LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I'm going to buy my first riding mower and have decided on a Walker. It sounds to me like an 11hp with an 42" deck would work pretty hard and you should at least have a 16hp. Whats your opinion on this. I am looking at the Model "C" with the 48" but want to confirm the the 11 really is for a homeowner not for commerical use. Please provide any feedback good or bad.
    Thanks

2. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

The latest catalogue has a 18hp model C w a 48" deck.

I have a MT 20x48 . the 18 should be less $. Ed

3. LawnPro in NC

LawnPro in NC LawnSite Member

see bought my 1st Walker yesterday.

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Hey Rock, I noticed you are from Maine, so am I!!! I just purchased a Walker about 5 months ago, definatley worth the investment. I went with the 20 HP with the 48" deck GHS. As far as what model you should get it really depends on what you will use it for. If it is for commercial use I would go with at least the 20hp. The smaller ones aren't going to perform as well. Shoot me an e-mail if you want some info on where I bought mine and what I have found out about them. I have a few buddies in the area that also have them and can tell you about thier experiences as well.

5. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I have a C model with 16 hp an use 36 inch decks, I would not recommed the 11 hp model. The 16 hp has enough power but I wouldn't want any less, I guess the larger decks would drain even more power, I think the new 18 hp c model would be good.I am sorry now I didn't buy a 20 hp or larger because if I ever want a larger deck in the future it could easily handle it, Don't get me wrong I love my Walker but if I did it over again I would put more thought into a larger engine.

Ray

6. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I went from a 16hp to a 26hp. Well worth the cost! More power = more potential.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Go with the 26hp EFI, you won't be sorry!!!

MATT

8. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

if it is for homeowner use then go with the 16hp if u are using it comm. then go with the 26hpefi. more bang for your buck

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Plan for the future even if you arent sure what it holds.

The 26EFI is the ticket. It burns as much fuel as a 20 with alot more power. Yes it costa a little more but it is well worth it in the longrun. Fuel savings along with the ability to run EVERY attatchment and deck that Walker sells.

10. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

Well we sell 3/4's of the EFI's in our whole territory so I am partial to the larger mowers. Certainly more of an investment but if you are considering any attchments down the road what so ever you will not be happy with the 11 hp. The attachments are the big consideration when buying these units. Also that model is now a 13 hp Kaw.