need your opinion please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowit12000, Nov 2, 2003.

1. mowit12000

mowit12000 LawnSite Member

i have been working for this LCO for a little over 5 yrs now, first 4 were part-time. I absolutely love what i do we are lawncare and landscaping(mainly retainting walls) I have been the lawncare crew leader for sometime and filling in on the landscape side when needed, the boss uses alot of college students part-time from may to august, prior to and after them i mainly cut alone, we maintain approx fifty properties from 5k to 30 acres.

well here is my question: the boss says we are so busy cant have days off anymore til end of season, still cutting, need to start leaves, have a two tiered 180 foot long wall in progress
    and several small patios and walkways(holland pavers) and mulching jobs etc etc etc...... snow coming soon it is november!!
    my pay is good only benefit is one week vacation, no rain pay or sick days collect umemployment in winter unless snow , then boss says he is going to be gone one day ooh thought i told u
    going to florida for 11 days with family. meanwhile i feel i left holding the bag, wife thinks i'm being taken advantage of and i thought i would ask u brothren on ls for some advice what do u all think

sorry it is so long really need to vent thanks to all!!!

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Sounds like he doesn't have much compassion for his employees. I would feel extremely quilty if I subjected my employees to that type of treatment. This is one of the reasons why there is such a great amount of turn-over in this industry. You are not without options though.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Not to sound harsh, but whos name is on the side of the truck again, yours or his?

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Who pays if something breaks? If you screw up an account and they cancel, do you lose money? If ins goes up because of a claim, does your pay go down? .....................

5. mowit12000

mowit12000 LawnSite Member

lawnman_scott
    yes he has the overhead and as far as accts go i have not lost him one, i'm not perfect nobody is that is not what i am saying i guess i am whining huh. i fix the equipment saving him money i do pay for something if i screwed it up and that does not happen often i am careful, i agree his name is on the side of the truck so i guess that means that i shuld not return customer calls that he refuses to return because he is sick of them or does not want to deal with them because there is some sort of a problem
    so if i follow your comments maybe i should do what i am thinkin of and put my name on the side of the truck huh?

6. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Try to talk to him..... if that doesnt work go solo.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Thats how alot of us got started. If you're doing all the work anyway might as well make all of the $$. Just remember what was said about equipment, ins. and all the other expenses involved.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I think olderthandirt has it covered.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have family? Well, I'm sorry, but time with them is too important. Do NOT take life for granted, and live every day as if it were your last. ESPECIALLY when you say goodbye to your wife and walk out that door in the morning. You aren't getting medical, you aren't getting dental, you aren't getting optical, you aren't getting sick days, and you aren't getting any kind of retirement - other than your s.s. which will be practically non-existent when the time comes. So, don't play this game like you're involved in some major corporation that is paying you 100 G's a year to work your life away like some salary job. There are landscape companies ALL OVER the place that would gladly hire someone of your skill and experience. This employer will only take do and get away with what you allow him. Always remember, - only YOU ste and keep the standards of what you know you are worth. Now, if this guy was an actual PROVIDER for family, - in ther words, provide medical, etc., and retirement, then I would be advising a little different, but remember, no matter whatever you are making during the working season, you are only bringing in what you get on unemployment all through the OFF season.

10. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

My opinion? It's time to make a change. You don't deserved to be walked on.

Strategy: Don't quit just yet. Think it out. Come up with your plan. Get your ducks in order. Then go do your thing on your own.

OR

If self-employment isn't for you, then get on the phone right now and tell his competitor's you are entertaining employment offers.

As for me, I don't tolerate bad behavior very well. I guess that's why I can't have a boss.