need your opinion?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by workaholic, Feb 14, 2004.

1. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Have been mowing this paticular yard since 1995 and keep in mind that we also maintain a cemetary that this same customer owns. Toward the end of last season on the last two mowings that i did for him he asked me to start bagging his lawn(we always mulched his lawn) My question is, right now we are pretty high priced on his property. would you raise the price or just be a good boy and eat it? also keep in mind that the cemetary is very profitable for us and I am thinking about raising the cemetary.

2. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

Raise the price. Bagging is a pain.

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Eat it! He has been loyal since '95 and sometimes you have to treat special customers a little more than others.

4. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

If your making a good profit on him and he's been with you since 95, eat it.

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

If the account has been profitable since 95 I would eat it. If its something you see as a account that is "important" then I would jus keep with it, maybe you can dump the clippings somwhere around the cemetary, sometimes the have a small maintenance yard with dirt etc.

6. MandT Lawn Care

MandT Lawn Care LawnSite Member

eat it. good customers are good profit is harder to find . somewhere down the road you'll make it up on that customer.

7. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, eat it. Maybe catch every other week or skip bagging in the summer months if you can. Try telling him, sure we will bag in the heavy growth months for no extra charge but we cannot afford to do it all year round, then maybe he will offer to pay a little extra for bagging year round. Then you are both happy.

8. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, eat it! If your already making a good profit it couldn't be that much more of a PITA to bag it.

9. Currinson

Currinson LawnSite Member
    from MA

I think you should charge a fair price for bagging. Eating it is not good buisness. How can you add a service and not adjust your price accordingly. Add a small charge when collecting clippings. If he has been with you since 95 he will understand, you have to charge more. I have seen alot of companies add on small things and not bill extra, next thing you know you are doing a ton of small things and getting screwed. And then customers dont understand, because you always did it befor and never charged extra. He will understand, if not he can try to find someone else, however no on will provide him the service yo can.

Good Luck

10. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

Ask him why he'd like you to bag it. Are the clippings visible to him? I always try to make it "look" bagged by double cutting, mowing w/ an OCDC and if the clippings are still visible, then I bag. Some places have easy access to dumping the clippings. Others I've got to put in bags at the curb. It does take a bit longer, but leaving the place neat is important and the customer does notice things like that. I've picked up a few accounts just because I make it looked bagged. Maybe figure out how much more it cost's you to bag it and if you haven't raised your price since '95, inform the customer of this(I'm sure he knows) and that you'd only be charging extra to bag. He'll get what he wants and you'll get an increase.