1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need your opinions - Dixiechopper Flatlander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CutApproved, May 23, 2007.

1. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hey all,
    I have a buddy of mine who has a 50" Dixie w/20hp motor (I think a Kohler)
    It has less than 100hrs on it..

1) What do you like or dislike about it?
    2) Have you ever used the Catching system (vortex) How is it?

I really need your opinions.

Also - ** He said he'd sell it to me for only $3500 I thought this is a steel.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm pretty sure a dixie flatlander is their residential series, someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
  3. CutApproved

from NJ

Thats what I'm wondering too. I'll check their website
  4. CutApproved

from NJ

I just spoke to Dixiechopper. The Flatlander is made for "flatland". Baseball or football fields. They stated it would NOT do well on hills or maneuvering arounds trees and such. I clearly asked if it would be good for a home owner or landscaper for cutting small properties... definately not she said.
  5. Lawn-kid

Lawn-kid LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

The company I work for uses Dixie chopper mowers and the mower i have been using is there flatlander model but with a 60 inch deck it is a good mower. It is a 2001 model and has around 2500 hours on it and still running strong. I mow anything from flat areas to hills and ditch banks. It is a pretty good all around mower.
  6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had my flatlander since 96 and still going
  7. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

The Flatlander is good for "flat areas" because it has a ground speed of 13mph, if you want to mow that fast. I have a 60" Flatlander that I use to cut many retention areas and small manmade hills inside a development and it works fine...just dont try to mow at 13mph. The 50" is a good all around size deck, so if you adjust you speed according to the area your mowing this would work just fine. Not to mention it looks like a pretty good buy.