Need your opinions guys....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All_Toro_4ME, Aug 28, 2007.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an account that I mow and the neighbor has me do hers at random. Dont have her on a set schedule. She called me the other day to come over to mow, I told her I would be in that area in a few days. No problem. As Im driving there, about 5 minutes before reaching her house, she calls to cancel. Said she didn't want me to run out of daylight, even though theres headlights on the z, and it was 5:30 in the afternoon. Not a large yard either. Said she had someone else do it and was working on it at that time. Made me pretty angry, but I've been down this road before so I blew it off not thinking much of it. She calls again over the weekend. Said now she wants mowing and winter cleanup. Would you guys drop her or what? She's the neighbor of a really really good account that I service weekly and she usually sees me over there when Im cutting it. Suggestions?

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Drop it,unless you want to be the "on-call" lawn boy.Neighbors do talk,but if you're doing good work for the "really,really,good acount",then the neighbors' opinion won't matter.In alot of neighborhoods,the homeowners just tolerate each other,but aren't exactly good friends.

3. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Set schedule or 50% higher per cut.....more if it's in bad shape.

These are the type people that cause you delays on your regular route.

You (or at least I) can't afford that.

4. All_Toro_4ME

Thanks NickN and OMG for the advice.

5. F Haney

F Haney LawnSite Member

I would NOT go out of my way to mow her yard. If she wants it mowed when you do her neighbors yard, then I would do it. Always nice to make more $ while parked in one place. If I had her as a problem, I would tell her for next year the only way you can do her yard is when you do her neighbor. And not at random either, but on a regular basis.

6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

This is good advice IMHO.

7. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

yup i have one like this and i am going to tell him he has to be on the schedule or i cant do it

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If she asks you to do it while you are at the neighbors, then I would. I wouldnt make any special trips though.

9. All_Toro_4ME

Thanks guys for all the advice.

10. bodisatvah

bodisatvah LawnSite Member

put her on a a contract...end the games.