Need your opinions on a political matter...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by KenH, Feb 7, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I live in a small town in CT. We have a 144 acre parcel of open space, which contains a resevoir, which is no longer used as such. The city wishes to put a few athletic fields on the property, and there is widespread concern about fert. and pest. runoff, especially into nearby wells. The town had an environmental review done, and it was stated in the review that "the fields will have a noticeable environmental impact", but "using the unfiltered water for irrigation would act as a natural fertilizer and reduce or eliminate the need for fertilizers."

Here is the problem: This is being brought infront of the city boards, and I am preparing a dissertation on the NEED for fert and pest. on heavily used fields. One of the complaints of the city is their existing fields are being overused and are in poor condition, but in reality, 90% of their problems are due to improper maintenance.(Wrong cutting height, improper irrigation...maint. is done by city employees.)

I need to bring in front of the board the point that in order to have decent, heavily used fields, some fertilizers and pesticides will have to be used, otherwise these new fields will also be in poor condition.

Based on the responses to this thread, I am planning on reading this, along with my notes to the city board, so if you can please state your "credentials" that would be great.

By the way, I am not looking to gain a maintenance contract from the new fields, I am trying to stop them.

Thanks for listening.

2. Proper maintenance will give you the best results of any lawn.

Proper maintenance includes fert and pesticides.

Pretty simple explination.

Only problem with this is experts the city has that has no real worly experiance or information.

You have a few things to go agaist, including run off, leaching.

My best advice is to find information from your dept of ag, to bring fwd to the "board" on what they reccomend on turf maint.

Their own dept.s reccomendations, wow would you ever think of that eh? No pun intened for you Ken, but intended for the board.

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Thank you LGF.... I think what I was looking for here was members firsthand experience on what it takes to maintain an athletic field. I am a firm believer that firsthand experience is the best source of information. What really gets me is the city is going to say "Look, we can do this without fertilizers...."which is a grave misnomer IMO.

4. From what you said, they have gone through a thought procsess already.

The best line a deffence is their own system.

Also Tremor is from CT also, so he could help you in more ways that one, plus I bet he can give you fact sheets best for native/aera turf.

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a <a href="http://www.usga.org/green/download/current_issues/environment/loss_of_nitrogen.html">USGA Green Section Report</a> on fert and pesticide leaching and runoff. Studies were done at numerous state universities in the 90s. By checking with USGA, or universities noted, you could get results of scientific studies in the area of leaching and runoff.

Also, checking with your <a href="http://www.canr.uconn.edu/ces/index.html">CT Cooperative Extension System</a> might get you info on work done right in your state on these items.

I would think a city board would have to weight the credentials of top university turfgrass scientists much heavier than a bunch of anonymous comments on the Internet.

I remember seeing a number of studies during the 90s on these topics, and the common result was that a healthy turf was a good filter. But good luck with butting against the anti-chemical mindset in your area, LOL.

6. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

GroundKprs........Also, checking with your CT Cooperative Extension System might get you info on work done right in your state on these items.

I would think a city board would have to weight the credentials of top university turf grass scientists much heavier than a bunch of anonymous comments on the Internet......

Could you not enlist the talent of one of their Hort. Professor's to address this group....? Good Luck !

7. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

How about taking soil samples and water samples to let them see how much difference there is.

Unfiltered water may have some nutrient value but it is only going to be tace amounts, let them see how many millions of gallons of water it is going to take to provide the amount of N needed for proper growth. And then with that much water on the fields they would never be playable.

Get the cridentials of the people who did the impact statement, are they turf people, Do they relly know the needs of turf?

Just a couple of ideas.

Jim

8. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

I know most peoples eye's glaze over when I bring up Dr. Wayne R. Kussow, Professor at the Department of Soil Science, University of Wisconsin - Madison, but I think he can really help your cause.

He performed and documented studies that said: "Not fertilizing turf properly is hazardous to the environment! Not fertilizing previously high-quality turf for as little as 2 years has shown to lead to so much thinning that water runoff increases by more than 30%. The net result was there can be nearly twice as much nitrogen and phosphorus lost via runoff from unfertilized turf as from turf receiving 4 lb N/1000 sq ft annually."

Also, natural soil sports fields suffer greatly from soil compaction, another factor increasing the potential for water runoff and soil erosion. Proper and frequent aeration is vital to maintaining a healthy, dense stand of turf on a natural soil sports field which will reduce soil erosion and water runoff.

jim

9. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Ken,

I work with every sort of athletic field there is. From the most highly recognizable sand based professional sports venues in the world, to the worst dirt lots in the 5 boroughs & everything in between. It's what I do for a living.

I also live in CT.

Private emails only please.

sls247@lesco.com

If you're not too far away & are really committed, I will help.

Steve Jepsen with LESCO

10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

lawnstudent . If you are not applying fertilizer to the thin turf, where is the phosphorus and nitrogen going to come from to leach?

Mark