1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need your Troubleshooting Wisdom

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Bush_Baron, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Bush_Baron

Bush_Baron LawnSite Member

Hello everyone. I am a new to this forum. I have been viewing this site for several months, and have enjoyed the reading your posts.

Today I come to you with a trouble shooting issue….Tell me what I’m missing.

12 zone system, Rainbird ESP 12 plus controller, zones 1&2 operate through “Add-a-Zone”, zones 4&5 operate through “Add-a-Zone”, 18 gage multi strand field wires, 1 ½” Weathermatic 21000 series valves.

Problem: Zones 1&2 do not come on, all other zones operate. Diagnostics in controller report “Fault 1”

What I have observed: Valves 1&2 are installed within the same enclosure. Valves 1&2 will operate manually by using bleeder. Ran “RASTER” test, it reported “OPEN 1”. Multimeter indicates open circuit on zone 1, all other zones indicate 55 ohms of resistance or less. I disconnected the Add-a-Zone and connected the field wires directly to the controller’s transformer. The multimeter shows 30 volts at the valves. I removed the solenoids, (S24BSA) and they operate with the 30 volts from the field wires. I tested the resistance of the solenoids while removed, 25 ohms each. I replaced the solenoids and activated them with 3, 9-Volt batteries, valves did not come on. Opened the bleeders manually, and the valves come on. Are these the correct solenoids for the valves? Since Weathermatic plungers fall out of the solenoid when removed, could they have been replaced with a different size? It seems unlikely that two solenoids would go bad at the same time, but I’m sure stranger things have happened.

Before I spend the money for two new solenoids, am I overlooking something?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think it would only take 2 9-volt batteries in series to activate a 24 VAC solenoid. How much pressure at the valves?

3. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Been building valve activators for years - it takes 3.

4. I guess I'm lost or have tired head going through the logistics but if you disconnect the add a zone on one and two and wire direct to just one solenoid does that solenoid and valve work?

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

my activator by Tempo takes 2....

the chatter feature is worthless

6. Wet_Boots

Powering a circuit, you might want more than 18 VDC for a supply, but since a W*M S24B solenoid will open with 12 VDC at 75 psi or less supply pressure, I see no need to feed it 27VDC. For direct activation of Toro solenoids, it only took 2 9-volt batteries in series, without fail.

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

what do you mean by in series?

wired all together?

8. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

I've always used 3, so there.

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

pics???????????

10. Wet_Boots

"Series" is a basic electrical term ~ the two batteries in your flashlight are connected in series (so the voltages add together)