Need ZTR opinion - Hustler vs. Gravely

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FIRESCOOBY, Mar 24, 2006.

1. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I've narrowed it down to these two brands. FYI, I looked at Exmark and Scag, but dealer is much farther away and VERY unwilling to show their mower. Seemed as though I was bothering them. Therefore...they are OUT. I have only two local dealers one sells Gravely, the other sells Hustler. I know the owners of both. They are both within 10 minutes of my house, both do reputable service, both very accomodating. They both offer loaners if mine would be in for service. Both are willing for me to demo this Monday.

The three mowers I am considering are: 1) GRAVELY 152Z (23hp Kawasaki), 2) GRAVELY 252Z (26hp Kawasaki LC), 3) HUSTLER Super Z (52"/25hp Kawasaki). The 152Z is around $7200 out the door, the 252Z is about $8300 out the door, the Hustler is about $7920 out the door.

I am demoing a 148Z Monday (no 52's in stock until late next week) and a Hustler Z 52" head to head. I know this will influence my decision greatly. I have talked to people that have bought from both dealers and all are pleased. I have searched many threads and have seen good and bad experiences with both. I've never run a ZTR much at all, so this is all new.

I'd like to here from people with real world experiences that can give me some information.

Thanks in advance.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If the hustler comes with the new deck go that way.

3. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Can you tell me why?

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

No disrespect intended there, Big John, but what your answer lacks in detail, it compensates for with nebulousness.

Care to explain why you'd favor the Huslter or shall we consult Madame Olga to divine your logic?

5. John Gamba

from ct

The XR7 is far Superior to the gravely deck and the mower it self is lower.

6. John Gamba

from ct

Mark:waving: Theres no need to question an opinion that i give:hammerhead: Just follow it and go make money:weightlifter:

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

lol...now that's funny stuff

I own a 260Z and have never used a Hustler. The only thing bad I will say about the Gravely is cut quality when the grass gets taller and thicker. It's not terrible, it just misses a few more blades of grass then the Exmark XS I've used.

Remember, the most important thing on a mower is the deck and next is the engine. So if the new XR-7 cuts better, which from what I've read about so far and all the hype around it, it probably will. You mentioned the 52" Hustler and if it's the new XR-7 deck it will be a 54" and I guess those haven't hit production yet, according to a thread I read in the Hustler forum a day or two ago. So you might be better off with the Hustler, but you can't go wrong with the Gravely either.

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Not that you will always need it, but be straight on the commercial warranties on the units you are looking at also.

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

As a Gravely dealer, I would not agree that the new Hustler deck is better than the Gravely. Hustler has a history of problems with the cut quality of their decks. That is the main reason for the new XR7 deck. Gravely has a good deck design, that to my knowledge, has not had design problems.
    Since the XR7 deck is brand new, there is no history on how it will perform in the field, other than Hustlers word that it is the best thing since sliced bread.
    You are on the right track with your demo plans. Try the machines on some of your properties, and see which you are happiest with. do not take other people's word on what is best. It may be best for them, but, not for you.

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have 2 Hustler Z's and I can't say enough good things about them. I just bought a new 27/52 Hustler Z and installed the new flex forks. The ride of the mower with these new forks is very smooth. I ordered a set for the old Hustler 23/52 that I'll be using as a back-up mower.

The cut quality of the Hustler Z or Super Z is as good as any machine I've ever used...and I've used many different brands.

Demo a Hustler and you'll be hooked.