Needed: Spraying Ideas?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by countyline, Nov 21, 2005.

1. countyline

countyline LawnSite Member

First of all I would just like to say this is a great thing! I don't know how many times I have seen the ad for this site and just overlooked it. Ok, on to the question, I have been applying gran. ferts'. for approx. three yrs. now with fair results, however I am interested in getting into more spraying. What my problem is, I am having a very difficult time finding out info. on spraying nitro. or any chemicals to green up grass in the spring. Some customers are wishing to see lush green grasss early or all year round with no irrigation system??? Hard to do here in NC transition zone. Any help would be great.

2. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

Welcome Countyline - I'm sure you already know that without enough water, no lawn will look healthy and "lush green" all year. But I understand how it is to want the best results with the hand you are dealt. If we are talking cool season turf (I focus on fescue here), and you want to go liquid - consider a combination of pre-em(Dimension), three way, and very light n (I use lesco urea). I do two liquid apps. - ester in the first, amine in the second. Just remember - too much n in the early spring (in my experience) will promote brown patch in the late spring.... it's a fine line to walk in the transition zone. Good luck.

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You need to make two calls. One to your local Ag. Extension person, and the second to your local Lesco. They can help you.

4. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

wanna know my secret late spring app - here it is. Granular 17-0-22-2.5 (100% PSCU, 44% PSCSOP, 56%SOP, 2.5% Fe) then blanket spray w/ Dimension, Three-way, 12-0-0-6 Chelated Iron)

Other sprays you could use-

Liquid-Lime
    Fungicides (Mancozeb, T-storm, Spectator, Compass, Eagle, etc.)
    Insecticides (Mach 2, Talstar, Lambda-cyhalothrin, Merit)
    Crabgrass post-em (Drive, MSMA)
    Bermudagrass control (Acclaim + Turflon + sticker)
    Over-the-tops (Fusilade, Acclaim, Lontrel, etc.)
    Soil-wetting agents
    Turf paint
    Starter ferts
    Ornamental apps

keep in mind though that you really would need more than one tank to do all this.
    payup

5. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

wanna know my secret late spring app - here it is. Granular 17-0-22-2.5 (100% PSCU, 44% PSCSOP, 56%SOP, 2.5% Fe) then blanket spray w/ Dimension, Three-way, 12-0-0-6 Chelated Iron)

Other sprays you could use-

Liquid-Lime
    Fungicides (Mancozeb, T-storm, Spectator, Compass, Eagle, etc.)
    Insecticides (Mach 2, Talstar, Lambda-cyhalothrin, Merit)
    Crabgrass post-em (Drive, MSMA)
    Bermudagrass control (Acclaim + Turflon + sticker)
    Over-the-tops (Fusilade, Acclaim, Lontrel, etc.)
    Soil-wetting agents
    Turf paint
    Starter ferts
    Ornamental apps

keep in mind though that you really would need more than one tank to do all this.
    payup

6. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Inexpensive and all natural, liques iron and epsomsalts, 1/2 rates even work:cool2:

7. countyline

countyline LawnSite Member

Guys Thanks for all the advise, hope to try some of these in the spring.

8. mlr164

mlr164 LawnSite Member

I've run numbers for a few years now trying to find a profitable way to apply a liquid slow release fertilizer and it doesn't work out well. If you want a good spring green up you need to focus on your late fall application. If you build a strong root system in the fall you will have more roots in the spring to absorb nutrients that are essential for growth. Talk to your local LESCO to see what they would suggest for your current situation (sounds like fall application may have passed you by). Regardless of the amount and analysis of fertilizer you use in the fall, don't forget your pre-emergent.

If you do decide to do a liquid application, make sure you use something with triazones so you do not burn your turf. After you become more experienced you will be able to use more water soluble fertilizers like urea with confidence.

Good Luck.

9. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I'm not certain why it's difficult to find information on liquid vs granular applications and the differences, but if you live in an unirrigated area that goes without rainfall for extended periods, the only way you're going to have a green lawn is to paint it. To extend how long it takes to go dormant, you can use management tools like aeration to open the soil and capture as much water as you can when it does rain, build organics through top dressing if they are low and work on developing the root system through your fert program. Beyond that, drought stress and dormancy will only be solved by additional water. Possibly a natural extension to your business might be sprinkler systems if reliable natural waterings are a problem in your area.

10. bigtime

bigtime LawnSite Member
    from nc

do you do any work in hickory countyline