1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Needing Advice On New Line Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by handeman41, Oct 18, 2006.

1. handeman41

handeman41 LawnSite Member
    from Troy Al

I want to buy a new trimmer, but it needs to fall in this group:

1) IT has to be interchangeable with these two heads-
    A) chain saw for over head limbs
    B) edger for curb and drive.

2)built to take a beating daily line trimming.

3)the Warranty at least 1 or 2 years?
    A) what is the best warranty out there, and for what name brand.

4)PRICE around $400.00
    any help you guys give is taken to heart, I'm new and dumb while you' all are seasoned and smart.
    Thanks all,
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl has an AWESOME combi system with the 110 model, however you better plan on $400 JUST for the powerhead and trimmer. With the edger attachment and pole saw + a 3 foot extension, you are literally looking at $800+++ I priced the exact same set up a month or so ago, sorry I didn't write down any of the prices, but I nearly choked. You could easily wrap up a grand in a trimmer and a few extra accessories!

I think most major brands have a model or 2 with the interchangeable attachments, and all hover around the same prices as well...
  3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You'll have to increase #4 by $200-$400 to get the first 3 . Because what you'll be looking for is a multi-tool unit.

Powerhead - $280
    Trimmer attch - $80
    PolePruner Attach - $220
    Edger attach - $120

Which gets you to $700 before Tax.

This is on Shindaiwa stuff. If you went in and committed to buy all that in one purchase, you may find a dealer willing to give you like a $50 - $75 break on the price of the whole package.. But you can pretty much forget about getting somethign with the first 3 needs for only $400.
  4. handeman41

from Troy Al

Sorry guys I made a mistake in my post.The $400.00 was for the power unit alone.I know that the attachments would be more. Sorry for the bad post.
    What about warranties out there?
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Shin carries a 1 year commercial on theirs, Redmax stuff I believe has a 2 year commercial warranty, but that could change once the Husqy buyout is completed. Dunno about the other brands.
  6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Got a split shaft Sthil, can't remember which model.. I have Trimmer head, pole pruner( admittedly a little short but ok) an edger attachment, and extended hedge trimmer. I have had setup about 4-5 years and its a great combo but was much more than $400, probably closer to 800 at the time. Its a great setup although I seem to be using it more as a dedicated edger now since I got rid of hedge type plants, and have most of small trees pruned up so I can ride my ztr underneath, but have some more coming on in a couple of years. Reccomend it highly.
  7. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

CAROLINA MOWER LawnSite Member

I Would Buy The Echo Pas System - Awesome Stuff !!!
  9. handeman41

from Troy Al

Thanks Guys, I went and looked at both Echo and Sthil .
    I liked the Stihl a little better but, the dealer was no where up to par as the Echo dealer was.
    So, in saying that, I will be buying the Echo 260 PAS system!
    Thanks again guys.
    This is the best forum of friends any guy could have!!!!
  10. MSchumacher

MSchumacher LawnSite Member

Don't know if this is too late, but Stihl has the 1 meter extension for the pruning attachment. Just something to look at.