1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Needing advice......

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by eggy, Mar 1, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, we have been in the mowing game for some years now and due belive it is time to venture into the landscape feild, the mowing game is getting crazy with the amount of people who are side cutters....My main problem is we do not have much landscape experince, any advice on easy to do start up jobs? Seeding seems to be a good feild areound here...a lot of new homes, what are the steps needed in seeding a new home from rough grade to finish...equipment needed?? Or maybe the landscape feild is getting over crowded with part timers....
  2. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Eggy go to Best Buy and purchase the Siera 3d Landscaper 7.0 for $39.00 this will help you out in planing a landscaping job this will help you get all the facts check it out...
  3. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

This is how I also started. Seeded a lawn for a customer , new constr., and took off from there. What I can tell you is that seeding is the least profitable, pain in the @## part of this business. Your customer will tell you that they can buy seed at KMart for$XX, blah blah blah, then when they have you do it they want sod quality in 2 weeks. My suggestions are these:
    1. Seed with a quality mix at a little better than suggested app rates.
    2. Overseed heavily with a good Rye mix. Quick to grow.

3. Use a seed drill if possible.

4. Cover is a good thing. Blankets if price allows. Straw if on a budget and you don't mind neighbor complaints.

Even for its downfalls seeding will lead to other more profitable aspects and these are what you'll end up wanting to do.
    Good Luck
  4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

seeding is a great way to earn some extra cash, doesn't take me long and is very easy. go for it
  5. Majestic

Majestic LawnSite Member

Dont abandon the mowing field.If properly bid can make alot of reliable income.Also alot of our landscape work comes from our large vast of mowing customers.If you are already doing business with someone youre usually the first one they ask for other work.use landscape in addition to mowing.
  6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

mulching jobs are fairly easy and pay great to. go and talk to your nursery owner in your area and see if you can drop some fliers off and the jobs they can't mulch maybe you could get a few.