Needing help estimating bid....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dualsmows, Jul 29, 2007.

1. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

One of my local Walmarts that we service has asked me to pull out 22 dead/dying shrubs.
    One of the bids will be for just pulling the dead plants and mulching the bare spots of where the plants are pulled and the other bid is for pulling the dead plants, replacing them and lay new mulch...Walmart will supply all of the material needed.
    Can someone help with what a fair estimate would be?

Thank you!
  2. All Seasons lawn care llc

All Seasons lawn care llc LawnSite Member

I would go in at 75.00 an hour should be a 6 or 8 hour day if you are solo. That will compute to 450.00 - 600.00 that is sweet that they are supplying all the material. If you bring another guy I usually charge 65.00 an hour per man. Hope that helps and good luck
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

How big are the shrubs? Are they easily accessible? Do you dispose of them, or put them into Walmarts dumpster? Will you hand-pull or use a skidsteer, dingo, or something? bag mulch or bulk? Too many variables.
    You need to give more info.
    I think I'd just go with your per hour price, but you'll need to figure how long it will take to do a bid.
  4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I disagree that it is good that they are providing the material. He's missing out on a very nice markup profit. At 22 basic shrubs (blue maids, taxus, whatever...), that could be 500-600 bucks he's leaving on the table.

Just be sure to charge a VERY decent hourly rate for the work. And try to work in a markup on your mulch.
  5. All Seasons lawn care llc

All Seasons lawn care llc LawnSite Member

I apologize for that I didn't think they wanted him to plant any shrubs . I thought is was just tear out and put mulch over those areas. I guess you are missing out on a huge mark up for the bushes. I still think 75.00 an hour is a fair rate for the job and of course this does not include any equipment you may or may not have to rent.
  6. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

All of the shrubs are easy to get to, I will be able to pull them w/ my equipment and I have a place to dispose of them.
    I do like the idea of buying / reselling the shrubs.
    The mulch will be bagged.
    The dead plants that I will be pulling are not together in one place and are not very large (2'-4' tall)