Needing Mulch Formula

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Duncan IN, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

I have an apartment Complexe that wants me to put down mulch on existing beds. 4 Buildings are the same. The mulch bed area is 142' long by 5' Wide, with shrubs in it.
    I will be putting down two inches of mulch.

Do you know of a formula to help me calculate the amount of mulch I would need for one Building.

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

go to eric's website it has asomething very usefull for this situation.

3. MTCDAVE33

MTCDAVE33 LawnSite Member

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Do a search on this web site. Theres tons of info on that topic.

5. Stoner

Stoner LawnSite Member
    from MA

To calculate the amount of mulch I use the the formula of (L*W*D)/27. D is the depth reflected as a decimal and 27 is a cubic yard. In your job it would be (142*5*.17)/27 = 4.5 yards of mulch. This does not take into account the fact that you'll need less because of the shrubs. It is a guildline that gives you a starting point.

6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I was always told a yard of mulch equals 150 sq ft 2 inches deep. That said, I came up with 4.7 yards, which isn't too far off. so once you have your area diveide by 150 and get your number.

jeffyr

7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Our formula is similiar to Stoner's but we do not round off within the formula...

(LxWxD)/324

Length =feet
    Width = feet
    Depth = inches
    So...(142x5x2)/324 = 4.38 cubic yards..

As you can see using 150 sq ft. x 2 inches is not exact and can cause problems when doing large jobs...

[Edited by LoneStarLawn on 03-26-2001 at 05:02 PM]

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Lonestar,

we were both off from stoners but in different directions. now I tend to believe that your guys are not laying exactly 2" deep--if they go a little over you are shorton your estimate-- I would rather over estimate than under since I also tend to lay the mulch a little deeper.

According to the mulch calculator 150ftsq comes to .93 yards--off by 7% which will allow for my heavy hand.

jeffyr

[Edited by jeffyr on 03-26-2001 at 06:47 PM]

10. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The amount I gave is the exact amount (so Stoner's was off as well)...from there you can purchase what is needed...we also get more, but we need to know the exact amount needed before purchase...

I was under the assumption that Levi Duncan was looking for a formula that would give him an exact amount needed and from there make a decision on how much to purchase..

[Edited by LoneStarLawn on 03-26-2001 at 07:09 PM]