1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Needing & New to Accounting/Business Software...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GreenBlade, Jun 3, 2013.

1. GreenBlade

GreenBlade LawnSite Member

Hi, I'm sixteen years old & been in the business for a couple years now. In years past I have had no problem using Excel, Word, etc. to manage the cash flow in my business. However, this year now that I am sixteen and driving myself my company greatly expanded and using Excel is posing as a very difficult, timely, and confusing task. I'm having a hard time figuring my profits, organizing my expenses & income, and preparing and keeping track of bills & who has payed & who hasn't.

I see and hear all the time about all different software such as Quickbooks, LawnPro, Groundskeeper, etc. This year I am greatly considering purchasing and implementing a software of this type into my business.

I was wondering what type of software I should use? I run Macs & not PCs. I have heard that Quickbooks is a great piece of software to use for the accounting side of things which is really all I need. Later I could implement another lawn care software for scheduling and such. I know there are online based, and downloadable software types, which is better & what do you guys recommend?

I would greatly appreciate some advice as time is running out as we get more and more into the mowing season.

2. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I use quick book online. It's great, you can learn it pretty quick. Another plus if you have an iPhone you can download the app and see everything right in the field.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. mont750

mont750 LawnSite Member

Hey Greenblade,
    We also use quickbooks online, pretty good way to track alot of areas. You can also print invoices and has some nice reports to help you stay on top of things.

BM
    Mow N Lawns

4. GreenBlade

I've demoed it. Only thing is, after a few years of subscribing wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the software?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Yes but buying the software is just as much because you have to buy the updated version every few years. They stop having support for the older versions is why.

I paid for a year and it was like 120. I don't need all the add ons such as pay roll and manage bills.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. GreenBlade

Oh I didn't know you had to get updates & stuff. What about programs like Service Auto-Pilot & stuff?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. creedy

creedy LawnSite Member

Hey, Realgreen Systems has a small business version that can handle everything for you, except payroll, payables. go to their website realgreen.com and request info. c