1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

needing to vent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grass_Slayer, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

just lost a commercial job to a guy who just started in the biz.

i have done this job for 3 years. its my church, and we are going into a building program. they r going to move dirt soon so they wanted the job bid at an hourly rate. i bid it at $50 per hour. i know that is kinda low but it is about what i averaged on that yard and i wanted to cut them a deal.

the guy that got the bid bought a new mtd pro last year and adjusted the deck so much that a dealer couldnt get it back correctly!!!! he sold it after he had it for 3 months. lost his a$$ too!!
  2. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Sometimes you've got to take one on the chin, but don't forget to dish it out yourself, too.:cool:
  3. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't blame you for being angery, I probably would be too.
    Sounds like this new guy is lacking alittle EXPERIENCE. What goes around comes around and some day he'll get his. I too, am fairly new to this biz and am gaining experience everyday. I'm not doing too bad (not losing my a$$ yet) taking my time experimenting , using decent used equipment to get by, maintaining it myself, and only working part-time at this for now.
    I do have a question showing my inexperience, Grass Slayer, you said you were bidding low @ $50.00 an hour, I'm mowing with a 48" comercial walk behind W/sulky on most of my accounts, figuring most of my work @ $40.00 an hour. Do you or anybody else out there think this rate should be higher? I mostly work in better to-do areas in a mid-western metro city. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but if us under-experienced operators, like myself and some others that will be reading this, knew what hourly rates should be, we could bid most jobs higher, maybe not get as many accounts for that reason, but would be making as much money for less hours, therefor inturn leave more jobs out there for others, at these higer rates. I realize competition drives these prices down, but wouldn't it great if we could all share in the wealth! so much for wishful thinking. Grass Slayer, remember don't dwell too long in the past, always look to the future,
    things will get better.
    still learning and always listening
  4. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

Don't be too upset because, I think that in due time they will be calling on you to fix the screw-ups! That has been my exp. MARK MY WORDS

Then, "you" can set the price!!

Hope it works out!!!

Little Guy:blob2:
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

It hurts when they quit.

But it so much fun when they call you back
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you should go higher in my opinion. I strive for a Dollar per minute $60/hr. Years ago (10+)many of my competitors were boasting about this magic "Dollar/min" rate. I just couldn't believe this back in the early 90's. Now I'm just getting up to achieving that "magic" rate.

If your work is quality charge for it! There's plenty out there for everyone!

You may find it more difficult charging more with a 48" walkbehind, just due to its lack of efficiency on larger accounts, but still, keep those rates up for ALL of us.!
  7. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

thanks for letting me get that out. i have forgotten about it, one because it takes up too much effort to do this yard (lots of hills) and the grass is really crappy (bermuda and dirt).

maybe he will screw it up royaly and they will call me back but im not holding my breath!!
  8. YUP:D

But as any good business person should be doing, is always trying to get "other" accounts, so they don't have all their eggs going in the same basket.

Almost no one has a 100% retension rate.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Then when they call back the ball is in your court. Depending on your mood, this can be interesting. :D
  10. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Lawngodfather noted:Almost no one has a 100% retention rate" That's the truth and how. That's one of the reasons why I'm in this biz. The pest company I worked for put the technicians in a pickle about that. It was one of the components of our pay. We were like the runner between first and second base with the basemen throwing the ball to each other. Catch 22, Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Well, That crap is over and I've seen the light. I'm the boss now and I sell the accounts, I work the accounts and if needed (after much thought and perspiration) I'll fire the accounts if need be. I've never subscribed to the thought that the customer is ALWAYS right (unless I'm the customer..he he). They pay us, that's it. If they want to think they're right, well, OK.