Needs Help With Dba Filing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ferdinand711, Aug 11, 2006.

1. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

Hi there,
    I'm from Lake County Indiana, I'm a Landscape Designer working for somebody else but I;m thinking of doing some side jobs on weekend.
    I want to file a DBA and get a License but don't know where to go.
  2. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Try your county clerks office. It should be the same office where you pay your property taxes. You could start there and tell them you are wanting to get a business lic. and they can steer you in the right direction. Hope that helps...
  3. ferdinand711

thanks. just got my DBA at our county records but they don't know where and how to get a buss. license. huh!!!
  4. ferdinand711

i just called the Indiana state info and they told me I don't need a business license to do side jobs on weekend if i'm just doing it by myself.:)

is this really true?:confused:
  5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Does it make any differance if the name of the business is something other than your name? e.g. John Doe DBA John Doe Landscaping. Or if John DOE DBA: Lake County Landscaping, reguardless of fact that it full or part time.

6. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

You do not have to have a business license in Indiana. Some towns might have different laws but there is no statewide requirement.
  7. ferdinand711

where exactly do I need to go. because i went to the town hall they sent me to the building and planning and was told to get a contractors license,$5,000 bond,prof of insurance and Employers identification number.

I explained that I'm just gonna be doing it on weekends(side jobs). but she sounds like I'm gonna be doing it full time ,hire bunch of people etc...

All I want is to do some side jobs legally and she says she doesn't know what to tell me.:confused: Isn't that amazing!!!!