Needs ideas for intregrating a water feature with a patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jan 23, 2007.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Got a customer that wants a paver patio.

He wants a water feature set in the center of the patio.

Not a pond.

He's not too keen on the boulder with a hole drilled in it.

LOL - I always get the easy clients!

Anyone have any pics of anything neat they done?
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

we call those pools around here.

What about a little reflecting pool?
  3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Andrew - This was a raised planter in the middle of a patio area we did. Something like this can easily be converted into a raised water feature. The cool thing about it is that it adds additional seating to the patio and is a place where you can admire the feature. HTH.

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Not a bad idea, but he wants it to have water flow out.

I'm pulling my hair out over this. The job is in a part of a neighborhood where I want to tap into, so I really want it to get our name out.

But there will be a deck as well, and I'm thinking the deck posts may interfere with the water feature.
  5. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

were doin a pretty cool one right now, but its kinda what you said you dont want. We have a 5' circle in the middle of a 1500 sf raised patio. and there is a 1500lb boulder (very dramatic boulder)in the center of the circle that has 1.5" hole through the center of it that bubbles water out over the rock and down through some very dramatic looking red tumbled glass, we have also incorporated 3 15 watt spot lights below the tumbled glass that will shine through the glass and accent the boulder. We also made the pavers really highlight this as the center point by taking a 44" section of bergerac pavers through the center of the patio and splitting it into two22" sections around the water feature.

Ive got a couple pictures, I just dont know how to post them.
  6. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Even if he doesnt want a boulder, I would still look into doing something with some tumbled glass, just the glass alone with the lights shining up through it are pretty dramatic looking alone. We used red to give the affect of the desert somewhat, (this particular client wanted a little bit of a western theme) but the blues are very attractrive in this stuff as well.
  7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Sounds like you need to get more info from them.......or even a sketch, something.
  8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I bumped into a site of a contractor in San Diego that does awesome work....check out and check out this guys quality and creativity......
  9. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen the waterfall into gravel look around here and if done right it could be a nice looking option for you. basically you are filling your pond with decorative river rock and the water goes through it and into the return. I wish I could find pics of it, but I am sure you understand. you could have a circular "pond" within the pavers with a nice water fall cascading around in the middle into the river rock gravel.
  10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a shot of an 18" sheer water desent. I posted one earlier in another thread but it wasn't real clear. We were just filling it up as you see here.

Bilodeau project 2 022 (Medium).jpg