Needs some help?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Aug 8, 2007.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I just got down putting a sprinkler system in my house and already have a few other jobs lined up.
    How exactly do you price for this stuff? hourly? or what? And also how much more do you mark up on the items you buy? 30%? My landscaping teacher said to me that to install one in my house it would be around $6000 for a 1/4 yard. I got a couple 5 acre yards to do and few 1/4 acres to do. But before I touch these what type of insurance do I need to start doing this and add more to my bottom line.
  2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

what do you mean by landscaping teacher?
  3. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

I recommend you contact your local irrigation distributor for assistance in all aspects of irrigation - estimating, sales, design, and installation. I have some friends in the business up in your area, they tell me Wolf Creek Company is a good supplier with knowledgeable sales people. I would also recommend contacting your local manufacturer rep as these guys are very helpful with training and so forth.

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

It is usually priced by the head or by the zone,with obsticles will add extra,boring,just walk the job well.
  5. Firstly I don't think it is all that boring of a job......but that's just me.

As for saying that it is usually priced by the head or by the zone......maybe in your parts...but around here I use a very strict formula.

Cost of Parts + Cost of any rental equipment + (Hourly Overhead x Projected job hours) + Desired Profit + Pita Factor if necessary = Job cost

If you do not know any of these will be very difficult for you to come up with a price to do the job...

Of course you can use one these other formulas as well...which I do believe most contractors are using:

WAG Formula : Probably the most common of all formulas in all contracting businesses from tile guys to general contractors.

JLEO Formula : This may be the second most common your buddies, post onthe internet or just look at the other bids.....copy and paste onto your own stationery and you're ready to go.

There may be more formulas.....but these 3 are the only ones I know about enough to actually comment on.

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

But I don't see any Permits figured in,also in my parts you have to have a licsensed plumber for installing backflow device.
    I know people who do commercial work by getting a quote from the supply house from a design a landscape arch. has drawn X 3 or 4 and that is what they turn in.

I get $125.00 per head (sprays or rotors)+ permits,clock,wire,horizontal earth removal,and any other obsticles I see I may have in res..If it is a pump job what ever the pump w/all that I need for it + 25%.Booked till well into 2008 my reputation will carry me on from there.Most of the places i do are your rich to extremly rich.For instance Jeff Foxworthy bought land north of here been there done that,Alan Jackson been there done that just done a house on the river for Tricia Yearwood so i could do worse.Freinds have helped alot in this so i scratch their back when i can.

Commercial is a whole other game.

I own my equipment but I rent it to myself so I can buy the Boxer Miniskid for the company and get a new pc. of equipment.Oh yea and pay for it at delivery CASH no payments.

Maybe you should think about relocating before you get to old.It must be pretty stressful out that way or you just stress yourself that much.

I work 35 hrs a week because my bosses tell me to (3 year old & 2 year old boys) that is why I got into this industry so i could make my hours life is to damn short to be like that.If i could make what i make in 20 Hrs i would.Sounds as if you may have to much overhead or still be going thru growing pains or something else?

Tony I hope all the best for you,you sound as if you have sense it takes to reach your goals and to be a great service to te industry from what I have seen by your posts don't throw the towel in you probably wouldn't enjoy working for someone else anyway!