neglected lawn needs a lot of help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by flairland, Apr 18, 2007.

1. flairland

flairland LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    A friend of a friend called me up the other day to come take a look at his property. He just moved in a few months ago, and now that the snow has gone, he realizes his lawn needs a lot of work. His backyard, a good 2500 sq. ft, is pretty shaded, and looks like the previous owners had like 3 dogs in there for a while - very patchy, mossy areas, thin - just no good. The front is not much better, the house sits up high, so the front yard slopes away pretty steep from the house. It has roots from trees about ground level, so obviously its needs dirt. Because of the roots, and the grade, I dont think it would be possible to take a tiller through the yard. What kind of recommendations do you guys have according to what I've desribed?

2. flairland

flairland LawnSite Senior Member

sorry to be writing so much..
    Should I just top dress? or actually try to till it up, add good topsoil, and then seed?
    Thanks

3. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

It wouldnt hurt to dethatch, aerate, and then topdress. Make sure you trim whatever tree is shading the back yard. If you put soil over those tree roots they will come back up, some trees always have surface roots. Try mulching out to the drip line of the tree.(Which is not always possible depending on the size)