neglected lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LakeSide Lawn and Landscape, Aug 20, 2002.

1. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: just wondering if you guys new of the best thing to do for a lawn thats been neglected?the weeds and crab grass has almost taken over any ideas on what to do for a fall lawn maintenace package? Or should i just kill every thing and start over?Not realy wanting to go that way.any advice would be greatly appreciated.thanks:dizzy:
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Kill and start over, easiest for you and cheapest in the long run for the customer.

3. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

If the lawn is as bad as you describe your only good option is total kill and start over. The existing weeds and crabgrass are established plants and they would compete against any grass seed you put down. It is hard to get a good stand of grass under these conditions. Good luck in your desision
  4. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

start over
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I notice you are in North Carolina. If the lawn is NOT irrigated don't bother doing anything until it starts to rain again. It is a complete waste of your customer's money to renovate a lawn and then not have any water to make the new grass seed grow.
  6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Definately start over if it is irrigated. I'd kill everything, rent a sod cutter to remove it, then hydro seed or re-sod it. Good luck to you.