Neglected Trimmings

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by KB Klippers, Jun 3, 2006.

1. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

I went to cut a yard for the first time and the trimming had been neglected all year long. I was wondering how much extra you would charge for this situation. The property is about 1 acre out in the country that has a house, a mobile home, 3 sheds, and several trees. My normal price for an acre is 50-65 bucks...depending on level of difficulty. After seeing the weeds as bad as they were, I felt like charging an extra 25 dollars...but didn't due to friend of the family type thing. What do you guys do in this sich ee aa shun?

kb

2. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

I kindly tell them,, "Well you see, I charge $65.00 bucks for this size lot, if it is a weekly cut,, but all this extra trimming is gonna be a LOT more time then a normal cut,, So its gonna be $35 for Trim, and First cut, then $65 WEEKLY after",, Friend of family or not. How long will it take you to trim it? 1/2 hour? Sweet, you just made $60+ hr to trim!payup
    Fill in $ as you see fit,, thats just me.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree because I did something like that for the same price once or twice, until the last time I did it, I ran through a whole tank of 2-cycle fuel on the weedeater... It may not sound like a big deal but a tank usually lasts me 6-8 yards, and that's when it dawned on me that I need to get paid for this extra work.

As for the other part, as a rule I don't work for family, friends, or neighbors.

4. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would charge extra even if you do have connections to them. It just shows that you are a true business man. You have to charge what will pay your bills.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would tell the customer its going to be $90 for the first cut and then $65 for each week after that. JMO

6. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

JR, you've got the right idea. An extra $35 is just pocket change.

Usually, I'll charge an extra $90 to $150 and look them straight in the eye.

Most times, they take it. But of course, I only deal with residential on spring clean-up. That's when I'll deal with extras.

In commercial, it's usually hundreds for any kind of extra, that's why I like commercial.