Negotiating the price on a new skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Wisentaner, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Wisentaner

Wisentaner LawnSite Member

I have bought two skid steers in the past and now buying a third, all different brands and all from different dealers. In the past I have never really done much negotiating thinking it would be helpful at service time but this time I want to get as much as I can for my money. The new machine I'm looking at is a Deere 320 which the dealer has quoted me $24,600 for the base machine with weights and a 72" bucket. I am also going to be purchasing a new trailer, forks and maybe a 4in1. Does any one have an idea from past experience what % I should try to have him drop the price with out offending them? Any help would be appreciated. Also I will be paying cash if this make a difference.

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

When dealing in cash, one thing I have found that seems to work most of the time is to deduct 25% from the asking price and show the man that amount of money, this gets their attention. dont let them know you have more and see how close he will get to that amount. He probably cant take your offer but if it feels to you like he is trying to get greedy, pick up the cash and start walking out, but dont be rude, if you are close, he wont let you get out of there without you buying the machine. A dollar in the hand to him is worth more than seeing it walk out the door. Sometimes cash isnt the best bargaining tool, some dealers get kickbacks from finance companies and will give you a better deal if you finance. If you have the cash you can always just pay the loan off, this also helps build credit.

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

If you want to drop the $24,600 figure even further, WHILE adding the trailer and attachments, you may get some blank stares. $25k for a 2,000ROC machine (new) is pretty decent... if you meant (and I think you did; I just have some interpretation problems sometimes) that you want to add those pieces to the bill and then ask for a bit of a discount, well, then I think 25% would be a good percentage. Maybe on the high side, but your goal in negotiating with him isn't to show him you want the lowest price possible: demonstrate to him that if he shows you some trust, you'll be back -- for a mini-ex, a CTL, another skid, whatever.

In any case, I think muddstopper's hit the nail on the head... so... good luck.

4. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

25%, wow, I'm glad I don't have to sell to you guys.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I write a check out for a reasonable amount in my mind after doing some research and subtract a little from that. Put in everything but the dealers name and even sign the check. I then tell them I don't care who's name I write the check out to, either him [ the dealers] I'm at or the one down the rd. Theres always someone willing to take your money.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

25%?! They'd laugh in your face and ask you to leave. That's an insult in my book, no salesman is even going to bother dealing with you if you come in trying to get that kind of discount on a machine.

7. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

Hahaha... and... once again... I know nothing about pricing!

*wanders away to the "Wrong Ideas Here" forum*

(But I stick to the fact that $25k for a SSL of that size is good. Add in attachments and there may be more bargaining room.) *shuts up quickly*

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

^^I agree with you there S250, that would be a good deal.

9. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

D'oh, I meant to write "But I stick to the opinion that..." rather than fact.

10. allaccesslandscaping

allaccesslandscaping LawnSite Member

bottom line money talks bs walks ... If you are luckly to have two or three dealers in your area be stright up and tell them this is how much I want to spend also be fair... I do know that dealers try to make a KILLING off atachments.... But its xmas you might pull off that 25%.

I have a better ideal go in their when its pouring down raining or snowing and then try the 25% thing