Negotiating with your dealer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BeautifulBlooms, Mar 14, 2008.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to be going in to see what I can get out of my dealer. I know I absolutely need to purchase a self propelled 21", String Trimmer, Backpack blower, and some extra parts for my Ferris IS1500. I also could be talked into another engine for the Kombi system if the deal is right.

Do you think there is any flex in what prices your dealers post? Have you ever tried to negotiate a multiple piece purchase? If so how successful. I probably could be spending upto $1200-1500 in one place at one time, and am just curious if I have any kind of bargaining chip with small equipment like this? I know the timing probably isnt right because they are more easily sold right now than in the fall. I also know you have more flex in a large piece of equip like a Zturn.

Anyone have any advice???

2. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

Depends on the dealer, most of the time the dealers will give you alittle break on small stuff, but usually not to much

3. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Depends on what kind of relationship you have with your dealer. If you offer them repeat business including maintenance, then they should be able to work with you on multiple purchases.

DJ-

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well hear is how it works at our dealer.......you can get a fleet discount that is good all year if you buy a certain number of items from the same manufacture. In our case it was a combination of scag and echo. I guess we ended up buying about 20 items....so with the normal discount for spring deals this was a few more percentage points. What was real important is the price on the items we got would stand the entire year if we wanted to buy more.....at least that is the sales pitch.

5. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

don't expect much on hand hell stuff. There's no room to play with price unless you are getting a fleet price, which is usually a dozen units and the dealer discounts it and gets reimbursed by the manufacturer.

Larger mowers there's wiggle room.

Package deals can score you a good deal.

Cash is your best weapon. Creditcard fees and fee's for financing can eat up the money the dealer is willing to knock off the equipment.

Hope this helps.

6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I dont want to bust balls here but I just have to say this. Go price a Redmax trimmer at your dealer for example. Then go to Speedwaysales.com and the price will prolly be around 50 less and maybe more. Check out Stihl prices on this wunnerful Inet. Go to there site and check prices on a br600 blower. It was 50 bucks higher in Michigan than down in the southern states last year. I dunno bout now. Try wisesales or some of the sponsors on here. They are all cheaper than your local and your local will always tell you how he cant sell cheaper. I showed it to my Stihl dealer because of course, he thought I was lying. When he saw it he says HUH. But he wouldnt match. Now if you are afraid it wont run after you get it in the mail like I was at first, pay extra I guess.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Those places don't pay as much for the product because they buy in such quantities. Therefore they can sell it to you cheaper. I'll gladly pay an extra $50 to be able to get good service in the future from my dealer. Those places aren't going to help you one bit, when your unit is broke down and you have work to do, right now. My dealer's have had mechanics come in on Easter morning to fix my equipment so I can run the next day. :cool2:

But to answer the poster's question. most dealers will give you a small break in price. But like others have said there isn't much wiggle room for them on small equipment. Just ask him what he can do for you but don't beat him over it.

8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

They usually don't "work with you on multiple purchases" if they are spread out over some period of time ... usually it would have to be all at the same time to get that sort of discount !!

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Try to buy from the same manufacturer. This will help you in two ways: 1. some parts can be interchangable and can go to one dealer for servicing 2. you are more likely to cut a deal with the dealer. If you can pay with straight cash, this will also help with negotiating the price with the dealer. But usually how it goes is the more you buy the more you save.