1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Neighbor calls Police because I'm mowing today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Oct 21, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

:angry: Well, I started mowing this afternoon, trying to get a jump on a few lawns in my neighborhood before it rains later this week. I was just finishing up the first job (planned 3 for today), when a cop, who I know well, tells me someone (I know exactly who it was- not one of my clients, I asked them if they minded if I mowed on Sun.) called complaining a borough ordinance stating that contracotrs cannot mow on Sundays. Needless to say, he didn't give me a summons (thank goodness), but said if I kept mowing he'd have to give me one (obviously I stopped). Some people have no soul- this woman is such a *****! I swear, this woman calls the cops when people are having a party and have their cars parked on the road in front of her house (which is a dump to day the least), because she's got nothing better to do with her time than drive everyone else in the neighborhood up the wall! God help her if she ever needs an ambulance- I'll make sure we take our time getting to that call! :angry: Some people are truly unbelieveable!:nono: Sorry, I had to vent ...
  2. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

That stinks. Mr. Fisher, in your sig, might not see her driveway when he's off stacking snow some winter morning.
  3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Someone people out there are total retards. They got nothing better to do that complain. With that being said, you will never see me mowing/working on a customers property on a sunday.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Its the law deal with it.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

There should not have to be an ordinance for this matter, it is common courtesy to not have commercial work being done in residential neighborhoods on a Sunday. One of the reasons people move to suburban residential neighborhoods is knowing they can have some peaceful time one day during the week.

Do you really think she had nothing better to do with her time? If the ordinance says "no mowing on Sunday," she was merely asking for compliance. As a contractor who works that borough, do you know the ordinances that apply?

Rains coming later in the week have nothing to do with the matter.
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

It used to be common courtesy not to screw up someone's Sunday (traditionally a day off for 95% of the population) with your loud machines. Keep this stuff up and we'll all pay the price in the form of Draconian laws that keep us from using our tools at all.

Yeah, maybe it took the neighborhood PITA to call the police, but I guarantee you others were thinking the same thing.

Hey, maybe you can get some leaf blowing in Christmas morning too!
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i was with you until you said this some people drive me nuts but come on you know this you gotta leave your emotions feelings and anything else thatll affect your job at the door
  8. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

i dont work on sundays at a customers house, but if a homeowner was mowing there own lawn on sunday, im sure no one would have said anything

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Well to each his own...sometimes you have to work when you can, to get the work done. But if the law is on the books, then it's on the books.

I would bet half the homeowners in there were out mowing their own lawns today :laugh: I guess the noise they create falls on deaf ears? :laugh:

Whenever I have had to mow on a Sunday, I avoid doing stops with multiple lawns. So I'm not in one place for hours.
  10. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I NEVER mow on Sundays or even work at customer's houses. I mainly don't want that to be my reputation of being the guy who comes though the neighborhoods Sunday morning waking everybody up. If your backed up from the weather stopping you then you should just deal with it and wait.