Neighbor Complaint

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnbiz Jeff, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Lawnbiz Jeff

Lawnbiz Jeff LawnSite Member

I got to my first account this morning about 7:30 (a couple of duplexes on a busy street) and was about half done mowing when a neighbor lady with a house behind the complexes came out to complain that I had started too early and the "noise of my mower was vibrating her whole house." She told me that she doesn't sleep well at night and usually sleeps in and requested that I do my accounts at a different time. She told me that I keep coming between 7:00 and 7:30 and that is way too early.

I told her that I have several accounts and that I have them scheduled so that I can minimize drive time and save gas and that it wasn't practical for me to move things around. I probably could move things around, but this locations is a great place to have my helper meet me (there's a shopping center across the street) and it really does work well for me to start there. Besides 7:00 - 7:30 doesn't seem unreasonable for a weekday morning for most people.

Anybody else have customer neighbor start issues?

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

As long as there is no noise ordinence you shouldn't have a problem. You might want to check with your city to see if there is a noise ordinence in that area, if there is you will only be able to mow after the set time. Plus if she decides to complain the police can't do anything about it if you are in the right. As long as she isn't your customer you shouldn't have a problem.

3. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

You might want to check local ordinces, and make sure you can be mowing at that time. If you can, then she don't have a complaint.

4. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

7 O clock here were on the first lawn no later than 710 everyday..

5. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

We must of all posted at near the same time.

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

7 here aswell. I would ignore her.

7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I never start before 9 AM but as Ive said before, I am considerate of others. I think starting at 7 or 7:30 is ridiculously early in a neighborhood.

8. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

7 am for commerical 8 am for residential, and i have a ticket to prove it 7:30 is not 8 am and then after a warning next week 745 is not 8 am then the ticket check your local laws

9. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I'll usually ask my customer(s) what time would be too early to start and act accordingly. Most of the time it don't matter because the're glad to have the service. I have one commercial account that I'll start at daylight.

If the complainer is not your customer and there is no ordanance, ignore her or tell her to go to bed earlier!

10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

If you plan your routes right just start somewhere it doesn't matter, like a commercial or country property. I start at 5:30 at one 1.5 hour property because the guys awake and doesn't mind.