Neighbor Cursed me out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by X-mow, May 31, 2004.

1. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

I was out mowing today (Memorial day) and we start on one customers lawn and I'm sittin' in the truck filling out the bill while my bros. and sis. mow the lawn and the customers neighbor (the customer wasn't home) comes out to the truck and yells to me :
    "Me and my family just got done grilling and sat down to supper and you start cuttin the lawn" So I said "Well I'm sorry I wasn't aware of that " he say "that's what people do on holidays"
    ME "Well we still have to work"
    HIM "nobodies making you work"
    By then I had realized he had one too many somethings so I just started back filling out the bill. So he stands there a minute then he says "You don't really give a F do you"
    Me " There's nothing I can do about it ,Sir"
    HIM "Yes you can you can load back up and get outta here.Come back on a regular day like tomorrow"

By now the lawn is almost done, so I finished filling out the bill and he walks off and gives me the finger.

Now the lawn is done after being there less than 10 mins, we load up and as we drive off he's got his camcorder on us.
    I'm thinkin to myself now what's this fool doing and waved to him as I passed.
  2. J-dub

J-dub LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Cool heads will prevail. You did good. There's no law (that I'm aware of) that says you can't work on a holiday. Only noise ordinances would apply (assuming you were mowing before 7:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m. [me thinks those are the times]).

That guy's got nuthin' on you.
  3. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Some people live the easy life..

Shoulda told him where to stick that finger
  4. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

what an ahole! he needs to get a life!
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually, some cities do have codes that power equipment can't be run on the weekends or holidays.

I've got a commercial place that I can't work on a holiday or a weekend, but I could mow at 3 am.... go figure.
  6. J-dub

J-dub LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Interesting, 22.

I'd recommend that x-mow check out his city and/or county's website for further help. Maybe a call to city/county could help, too.
  7. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

I never really thought much about the laws against working power equipment on holidays I'll check that out . Thanks Guys
  8. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

You have your brothers and sisters mow the lawn? No family in my business, not even friends.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've got my dad and an uncle helping out on a school district that I mow. I HAVE however severed all ties with friends.

I have everyone on a set day of the week, so they know when I am coming to mow the lawn. I dont care if the Pope is coming to town that day, if its not raining, Im mowing. If I dont work then I dont eat, tell that D*** head to go back and grill somemore steaks and mind his own business! And be sure to tell him, Have a nice day!!!!

BTW, Im sure if it was Christmas day and it was snowing he would expect you to plow his driveway. I hate people like that!!