Neighbor/customer quandry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pseudosun, May 15, 2013.

1. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, i got what i asked for. I wanted closer customers, and now i have six right around my house. 2 next door neighbors, one 3 doors down, one across the street, one diagonally 2 doors down across the street, and one on the boulevard. For me, i've learned that i prefer to not get involved with my customers, so when i have to correct matters, it doesn't get sticky. Now the man across the street said his company hasn't been there in 5 weeks, and doesn't know what to do. I stepped in. Then he wanted to tip me by bringing me to lunch. I told him i was toast in the pm, and he asked "what about the weekend?" He's a questioner, and we're very different people, and i have a sense that he wants to pick my brain, and i don't want to get into it. I feel that he wants to fix me, because i don't have a girlfriend. He mentioned that since we're both bachelors (his wife is gone for 2 weeks), that maybe i'll get lucky when we go eat. I tried to be polite as possible, but i feel this is blurring the line, and i don't like it. The other neighbor across the wall, has asked me 8 times to go drink coffee, and i always have an excuse (i need a shower, i have more to do, etc.) He's going to ask me next time i cut. Right now, i feel like i don't want to get too close to these customers. I need my leverage and privacy. I know this might be a butt hole move, but i don't care to know my neighbor's details, and don't want them knowing mine. Would you handle it the same way? If you think i'm ass, i can take it.

2. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

if they are your neighbors as well it'd be kind of a toss up for me. some folks and some neighborhoods are overly ''neighborly''

3. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

All of my customers (all 18 of them) are my neighbors and it has worked out pretty well. A few years ago when I was single, I did have a customer try to hook me up with her granddaughter (who was very cute and nice btw) but she had a boyfriend (grandmother didn't like the boyfriend) and she was a little too young for me. She was 19 at the time and still in college while I was 24 and out of college and working. We're still friends on Facebook.

Maybe your neighbor just wants someone to hang out with while he's bach'ing it? When his wife gets back maybe he'll back off a bit.

4. QLM

QLM LawnSite Senior Member

I think you should get a cup of coffee with your neighbor the lunch I would pass on. I am coffee shop junkie. Drink it all day one thing I have learned the coffee shop junkies know everybody. Odds are you will get more work from that cup of coffee. I have for more jobs from the neighborhood coffee shop than the neighborhood bar or anything else. Heck you could meet the manager while there could be a potential good job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. pseudosun

heh, heh, that's my hope > ""When his wife gets back maybe he'll back off a bit."" He's about 78. I noticed older people view marriage as a necessity, and i don't. My grandmother was worried about me, and i told her not to be. They think something is wrong, but for right now, i like where i'm at. The other dude across the wall, loves girlfriend questions. "you don't have a little girl in there, do ?, who was that lady who walked up to your door?, etc." It was a customer dropping a check through my mail slot:) I spend alot of time on projects, music, internet, and it baffles them.

6. pseudosun

I would get coffee, but this is an ex cop about 62, and he makes me uncomfortable. I don't like the way he talks about women, including his alleged girlfriends. He called one "a pill". I'm not sure if i know what that means. I don't know, maybe when i'm older, i may bug younger people to hang out with me.

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Hes probably just looking for someone to leave his fortune to since he has no kids worth it. Similar to Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino. I would skip it since you're too cool for girls, coffee, and especially lunch.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. johnjw77

johnjw77 LawnSite Member

I understand where you are coming from. I haven't had this problem yet in this industry, but I have in many other aspects of my life.

I agree mixing business with personal relationships can be a bad idea, then again if you continue to blow them off how long will they like you/let you service them. This is the debate I always end up at. You could just join them all once to get them off your back, but then they may take that as you are their new best friend and bother you more.

I say throw a rainbow flag on the back of your mower for a few weeks and see what that does for you.

9. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you're an anti-social dweeb to me.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Don't do anything for your neighbors unless you are doing it for free.