Neighbor needs someone to mow...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by I26, Apr 27, 2005.

1. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

My neighbor no longer has anyone to mow her grass for her. She used to use a service that was made up of handicapped children that could do lawn work. She said they stopped cause it was to much to keep up on the equipment. She was eyeballing my Lawnboy and mentioned she needs to find someone new. Its a 1/4 acre lot just like my lawn. Her lawn is almost all weeds front and back. I used to have a nice lawn but i left it go for like 3 years and some of the weeds worked their way over but now i am trying my best to give it some love again.
    Would it be a bad idea to offer to mow it for a fee? I am not looking to start a buisness but simply make a few extra bucks. This would also include trimming a few hedges. She always compliments my yard. What is a fair price to ask for mowing and light trimming?

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

7,000 SF of turf + or -? How long to mow your yard? It really depends on what your time is worth. Keep in mind wear and tear on your mower (you have just reduced it's life by half if you take this on), what happens if you break a window over there or nail her in the head with a lava rock that was laying in the yard? Rates vary so much on 1/4 acre lots it would be hard to tell you what to charge.

3. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

good points....i am leaving it alone