Neighbor of client is causing problems!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Critical Care, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I’m ticked off but don’t know what to do. The neighbor of one of my clients has the gall to rake debris off of his property and onto my clients for me to pick up and haul off. This guy has been doing this for years, and though I felt this was happening, it was less obvious than what I saw today.

Today there was a row of pine needles and leaves stretching from the front to the back of the side of my client’s property. This same idiot also directly drains three of his rain gutters off onto my client’s property, which I believe is illegal. That was the first clue that this joker was a real winner.

I know my client doesn’t want to start a range war, but at the same time I can’t be picking up after some lowlife banana yielding knuckle walker. So what to do?
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

There is another thread almost identical to your problem "neighbor and his leaves" you might want to read for some interesting ideas.
  3. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

Open up the chute and blow it back on his property. Or is this one of those cases where your client has trees along his property line and the material from his trees are going over to the neighbors yard, so he gets mad and rakes them back to the property line?
  4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Take a gas can, open it, walk down the pine needle line pouring gas, get to the end, light a match and then RUN like hell! :dizzy:
  5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure that this post is a bit like some others in the past, and I will look at those. I suppose that voicing my frustration with this idiot helps keep me in check, and to avoid having to resort to torching tactics.

This is an area where there are a lot of trees, on both properties. Who is to say where all of this stuff blew in from, but it is safe to assume that this guy figures that it all belongs to my client. He doesn't rake this stuff back to the property line, but over it, and along with quite a bit of his bark.
  6. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Send him a bill with a dump fee. Hell, he might pay it. lol. He is doing most of the work, load it up and place a bill in his door and thank him for the business.:p
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't matter who's trees it fa;;s off of. If it's in his yard, then it's his. I would simply be tempted to just fire up the mower or the Little Wonder and let it fly back into his yard. You'll have to speak to your customer and tell him that you will have to charge accordingly. He will then have to take it up with his neighbor if he doesn't want to take the lump for it. This certainly shouldn't have to come out of your pocket, though. Another thing you could do is just tell your customer that you will be moving that material BACK over to his neighbors property.
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yup, it would be blowing out the chute of the mower in the direction from which it came..............he'd get the message soon enough.
  9. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Thats what I do.I had a guy do the samething so I just blew it back in his yard and when he said something I said ill clean it up for 50 bucks.He shut his mouth real fast and when he talked to my customer who I ride with to bike week ever year turned around and said"If you cause my lawn man any ****, I WILL stick my foot so far up your a** you wont walk right for a month".Now keep in mind that he is from the same part of NewYork im from.Up there noone takes **** from anyone.
  10. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Why does everyone want to get into the clients neighbor problems? You aren't his property line enforcer. You are the landscaper. Charge your customer accordingly and let him take it up with the neighbor. It's only your problem if you make it your problem. And if your client doesn't want to deal with the client, either take the extra money or drop him.