Neighbor problem - Cops called

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DynaMow, Oct 27, 2005.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

Heres the deal. Getting done my clients prop, mow, trim, edge. Blowing off hard surfaces and I always blow adjoining sidewalks 10 - 25 ft, whatever it takes to be clean and no chance of complaint (plus I want my customers neighbors to think highly of me). Anyways, neighbor comes out of his house and gets in my face about blowing crap on his lawn. I explain that all my driveway was blown toward the center of her yard and that everything I was blowing came from his walk was just cleaning up. He says he wants me to clean everything up. I say OK show me what you want cleaned up (cause there was nothing there). then I notice he has a crow bar in his hand, so I ask what ya going to do with that, he says "this will make sure you clean up my yard". I asked him how that would be possible with it stuck up his _ _ _? I laugh, walk away, he follows me, still barking. I heard enough, went towards him stated it was ass beatin time and its got to be quick I got alot to do, he runs in house, calls police.

They go through their stuff, finally ask me if I threatened him, I said yes, I shouldn't have but thats what I was going to to. (felt that bar was all the threat I needed) These 2 young cops laugh, tell me not to blow stuff his way, told him to stay away from me and went on their way. No old nut bag either, guy 40 - 45 yrs old.

Why do some people think they have the right to treat others in such a manner?

2. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't feel bad. Had the same happen to me. After this guy called me a lawn butcher and accused me of throwing grass clippings on his yard, I was walking away laughing at him, he makes the comment, "I ought to split your head open." As I turn around I see him walking into his gargae but he immediately turns around when he hears me drop my trimmer and hears my footsteps rapidly approaching him.

I told him when I get done beating his rear that when he calls the cop's to make a complaint just make sure he tell's them a cop is who whooped his butt. He immediately puts his hands up and starts backing away appologizing and lets me know he is a policeman too. I told him I didn't give two shakes if he was the Chief of the St. Louis Police Department, he ought to know better than to talk to people that way because you never know who your talking to.

He appolgized and offered me a coke and said now that he knows I'm a cop I can't do any wrong. I replied "so I didn't blow anything in your yard then," and walked off. Everytime I show up if he's outside he just goes in the house till I'm done working.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Me, too... Had some old guy come out cauz I blew some grass on his driveway... Long story short, I grabbed this one by the neck, cops called AFTER I left, told them 'I dont remember' and was told to worry about NOT getting clippings on man's prop...
    I hate to say it but sometimes you GOT to stick your foot up deir azz, once you do it once or twice I guarantee you the whole TOWN will leave you alone, they don't mess with me no more.

By the way, if it goes to court, it cost me 160 dollars another time (nevermind 4 hours) so nowadays anytime I even THINK I might have to deal with the neighbor (doesn't matter if I don't know what they're like), it's a 50-dollar surcharge if I have to step even ONE FOOT on the next-door property. I guess you could say I learned to foresee this one coming, and I've had a few job offers 'on the property line' and I don't normally fux with that stuff no more.

I haven't had a problem like this in over a year, and aim to keep things like that. Some other time I'll tell you guys the story of another Lco who ended up handcuffing a cop to the steering wheel of his own cruiser with the cops own handcuffs, but it's another long post, heh.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

what ever happened to the option of packing up and leaving?

an topsites, please, please tell us that cop story right away........

GEO

5. topsites

LOL ok...

Friend of mine was driving in a neighboring county and made an (illegal) U-turn, however, the SIGN was missing. Still he got pulled over and the police officer was arrogant, etc, etc, my friend got off with a warning but he flat out told the officer that unless there exists a sign, he would do a U-turn because it's just not something you think about in a strange part of town, while the officer said the next time he saw him do it, he would be arrested.

My friend thought this guy was really arrogant just the way he acted like he was all macho and it was another one of them cases where someone is going to tell an LCO how it is! My friend, by the way, does tree work, not lawncare. To give you an idea, he can pick up TWO six or eight-foot logs one in EACH arm heavy enough where for me it's all I can do to move ONE of the same log with BOTH arms. Not exactly 6'7'330" but not that far off, either.

Well he went on and did this job but didn't finish so he had to go back the next day, see... And yes SAME U-turn and how luck has it, SAME cop came around with the blue lights, too!

So he pulls over and of course, officer is yelling at him to GET OUT OF THE TRUCK NOW! My friend asked 'am I being arrested?' and the officer 'GET OUT OF THE TRUCK' and this went back and forth 'am i being arrested?' ... 'GET OUT!' etc, etc for a few...

Next thing you know the officer pulled back and then HIT my friend under the jaw... As he related the story to me he said the fact he got hit didn't make him so mad, what made him MAD was that it was a pre-planned move, he said he could tell by the way it went down the officer had thought this one out beforehand and it dawned on him the officer had been likely waiting for this! He said it knocked his teeth loose and he felt himself going under but the cop had JUST missed the pressure point and my friend thought better now or never:

So, he opened the door with his foot which sent the officer sprawling... The cop got up quick and they got to fumbling but my friend had had enough. He elbowed him in the back and said THIS calmed the officer down considerably as it bent him over. So he picks the officers arms behind the cop's back and starts to walk him back to his cruiser. My friend said the cop got talkative again and just wouldn't shut up so he slapped him flat-handed around the face a few times saying SHUT UP and they got back to the cruiser well NOW the officer is REALLY belligerent so my friend said for his safety he felt he had no choice as he handcuffed the cop's arms to the steering wheel of the cruiser with the handcuffs the cop conveniently had stashed in his back pocket.
    Keep in mind the police officer's arms are behind his back, so he's face down, legs out the open door.

He then got back in his truck and went on down the road...
    He finished the job, collected his check, and went home...
    But yes, he got a phonecall (LOL)...
    I think he ended up doing some community service but overall they let him off easy due to the circumstances, it was decided it wasn't all his fault but they couldn't let the handcuffing bit go LOL... well I can imagine the LOOK of the officers who had to have shown up eventually to help their friend LOL not to mention all the passers-by.

Of course stories change over time, but that's the basic gist of it...

6. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

quite a few years back i had a neighbor of a customer that was quite the PITA. every time i was on the street cuttin the 6 houses he would call the cops with a new problem.
    finally one bright and sunny day the cars on the street had been parked perfectly. the only spot big enough for my rig was in front of his house ! first he sent his wife down the street to complain. i told her nicely she didnt own the street and to leave me alone and get off my customers yard before i called the cops. twenty minutes pass.......here comes there kid.........bigger than me by 100 lbs and a big mouth.....too bad i was holding the trimmer (running) and i revved it a few times to show my growing anger and stepped toward him.......he ran home at warp speed. i pack up my gear on the mower for the trip back to the truck and his old man runs out and punches me in the jaw.......breaking his hand in several places . wife calls the cops. turns out i know the cops and explain the whole deal. they give the whole family a written warning , tell them they dont own the street and tell the guy i will prosecute HIM for assault if he ever looks my way again. ON TOP OF ALL THAT......... turns out the people had made all kinds of threats about lawsuits and political connections to the cops.......mom dad and the kid all damn near lost the drivers licenses from tickets they got in the next few months. payback is a biotch !!!!

7. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

That is too funny, GEO. Some folks have no idea when they are being shined.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

1--jerry...I didn't tell the story so tell topsites it is funny.

2--jerry...who is being shined? me?

3--topsites...oh come on. bobbygedd spins better, more believable yarns than that.

GEO :dizzy:

9. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

1. I didn't think the story was that funny, and definately not that believable. What I thought was funny was the fact that topsites jumped in there and told that story and was happy that someone had asked him to.

2. I thought you might have been the one doing the shining.

3. BG does have a way of spinning a yarn that is uniquely his.

10. topsites

It is a bit of a yarn in that the story has been told many times so yes maybe only half of it is true, but happen it did...
    He's the same guy who, one time had a learner with him who wouldn't shut up and was being oh so arrogant about everything he knew, when Lark (the name of my friend) saw a live snake in the road and decided to show his new employee he knew a thing or two, too.
    He pulled over the truck and asked the new guy what would he do if he found a live snake while doing tree work, as this is not uncommon... The guy came up with various answers but Lark quickly told him the way you FIND a snake when doing tree work is you pick up some log and realize you found a snake as it crawls up your arm and by then it's too late to think of a fancy solution.
    So, here Lark is going to show this guy how to Hypnotize a snake, the ONLY way out of being bit for sure he tells him, LOL. So Lark gets out of the truck and gets ignorant with the snake, so to speak. He does his best to hypnotize it but gets bit several times in the process, each bite drawing a bit of blood until Lark figured the new guy's eyes couldn't get much bigger. He got back in the truck and he said the rest of the trip was uneventful and very QUIET and peaceful, lol.

p.s.: Lark supposedly knew the snake wasn't poisonous but one thing I learned over the years is Lark is one crazy dude. From my experience, Lark likes to embellish his tales a bit but I don't find him to be an outright liar who would tell a tale for the mere sake of drawing attention such as when nothing of the tale was true. Much in the same way my own tales or the re-telling of someone else's tale may not be but 50 percent of what happened but I wouldn't tell an outright lie and do my best to re-tell it the way I THINK it really happened.
    I got a few good tales myself but this thread involved interaction with people as most of my good ones involve stunts gone wrong with equipment, that's always been my thing is stunt mowing or stunt trimming and from time to time it lands me on my butt... Took me two years to learn how NOT to get my leg in the way of the weed-eater string, I wonder how many guys HERE have ever touched their leg with the trimmer (it hurts quite a bit in direct relation to the rpm's but nothing like flying over the handlebars of the Wb, that one I would say hurts the worst).