Neighbor used a steam roller on his lawn! Eeeek!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fprintf, May 6, 2004.

1. fprintf

fprintf LawnSite Member

My neighbor owns a construction business. I wonder if he may think he knows more about lawncare than he actually does. The other day, after it had been dry for a few days in a row, he brought home a big steamroller and ran stripes up and down his lawn. I didn't see him aerate the lawn or do anything to it afterward.

All I can think of is how much he has now compacted the soil. Sure, there are no more mole surface tunnels, but I think perhaps his lawn will not appreciate the compaction!

Agree? Just curious. I won't actually say anything to him, cause he usually knows best.
  2. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

ahh.......probably not the best way to achieve "stripes"........:D:D In all seriousness, he is doing more damage than good. He should have at least aerated afterwards.
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing like squeezing all the juice out of the earthworms. What a moron!
  4. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

I use a 5' roller behind my Kubota. I do not own an aerator, is that something that should be done each time?
  5. fprintf

fprintf LawnSite Member

Basically using a roller on your lawn is not good for it on a regular basis as it compacts the soil, which is not good for the grass. If you regularly roll the lawn I'd suggest doing it less frequently and aerating at least as frequently, if not more so!
  6. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

They do that every Spring here on our local little league fields. Grass still grows like crazy though.