1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

neighborhood boy wiped out 3 LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nosparkplugs, Jun 4, 2008.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

These are 300,000 to 450,000 homes, and while I was the last LCO to get the axe, I was able to hang on the longest 2 seasons. Times are tough for some folks I have never lost a account in this high end market to a teenager. I always have said, I gain three new accounts for every one I loose. Hats off to these young kids, I cannot compete with a teenager with a 21" push mower, weedeater, and blower walking from house to house.
  2. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Do you live in Arizona? WTF?
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I can't either. The teenager with a push mower isn't going to wipe me out. He can only do so much per unit of time. While he is pushing lawn 1, I am on lawn number 3. The teen is eventually going to do something else like college, get drunk with buddies, get tired of working for a snow cone and 5 bucks. He may succeed in lawn care and become a regular contributor to this site but that is an honor that only time will tell.
    I have much more to offer customers than a teen with a cheap price. If that is the type of customer then I don't want them. If price if number one with them I can't compete but thats ok because I have plenty who do know the value of my service and they have no trouble paying.
    Its the same as the guy doing lawns for beer money with his pinto pulling a 4x8 with a crapsman. If someone wants to hire him, have at it. It just keeps him busy with someone who really isn't interested in my work anyway.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My thoughts exactly. When and if the time comes where I can't get enough customers that are willing to pay my price then I'll move on to doing something else. It's the customer's lawn and they can do with it what they want. I've been released before and it will happen again. I don't worry about it. I had a "every two week" customer call me up and cancel last week. I didn't ask him why he was letting me go nor do I care. See ya!
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

This comment as well as what Mow Ed said are dead on.

If you're trying to compete with neighborhood kids, you might as well go work at McD's.
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

so 3 LCO's have gone out of business from this one kid? I find that hard to believe..... then you give him a hats off for doing it.
  7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to say from a business prospective...maybe you should wonder what value you offer...if some teen can take them from you, what good are you? Are those customers the ones you should be going after? I have never seen a GOOD lco lose customers to a teen at ANY price.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

agreed :

I was thinking if these are truly 300,000 to 450,000 homes and this kid is running the LC's out they must be doing a very poor job...

Most people know you get what you pay for. People in 3 to 450,000 homes are NOT stupid.
    To be honest .... I would be ashamed if a kid with a push mower walking from house to house could do a better job than me....

some how this post doesnt pass the smell test
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

running out of business, not likley, but getting the occasional yard for a summer job. that pases the smell test.
  10. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I'd believe it.... I can see how a kid with a push mower and who lives in the neighborhood is probably offering a huge discount over the LCO's. And there are a great many people out there that when they hear that someone else is willing to do it for half of what you were charging....then some of them come to the conclusion that you were overcharging them. I do not think your average customer has a clue as to how much all this equipment cost and all the additional costs that go into running your business.

I also think that most homeowners have cut their own lawn at some time in their adult life and realized it is not necessarly a specialized trade. Doesn't take "rocket science" and the truth is....just about anybody can do it. I know some of you want to act like it is much more complicated than it is....and we all deserve doctor pay....but when a teenager with a push mower can in fact take over one of your accounts than....well...I think that says it all right there.

And I don't care how great of a job you do....there will always be that customer or two that would rather have it done for half price and thinks anybody can do just as good of job....or at least thinks that until he finds out differently.