Neighborhood guy

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Gene $immons, May 4, 2008.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a guy a block away from me in my neighborhood who has a Fertilizing and Spraying Business. I drive past his house today and see that his tank is overflowing all down the street. I rush up to his house and kill the water hose.

I knocked on his door, and his wife says that he is taking a nap. He finally comes to the door and realized what happened.

You can smell 24D for blocks.

Real nice.
  2. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

That's why I think working from home is not always the best solution, no pun intended. Especially with hazardous chemicals.

That would not have happened in a warehouse surrounded by a dike.

Plus, I would rather drive nails through my thumbs than fill a 200 gallon tank with a residential water hose. Unless you have paint peeling water pressure in your neighborhood.
  3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, the guy is a friend of mine - of sorts - He has helped me out with some spraying. But I sure would not want my kid out in the street walking through the puddles.

Kind of dangerous, and unsafe. I know he just forgot about it, but that would be a quick way for him to get fined or lose his license if the city found out.
  4. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Meh. Accidents happen. i'm not attacking the dude, just saying it is not as big a deal if you spill in your own warehouse as long as you take proper steps to clean it up. And having the tank overflowing in your driveway is not the best way to make our profession look any more professional. Just sayin...

Plus, I think it is easier to focus if you have a space dedicated to work.

And commercial warehouse space is a great investment in yourself.
  5. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

On the other hand, broadleaf infestations in your neighborhood may decrease this season!

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Always best to look at the bright side of things ... wink, wink !!
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And it goes right into our water system. This is why it is required by law here in Michigan that all company facilities MUST have a loading pad that is curbed and water tight, and must have some sort of recovery system in place. If someone had called the DEQ, EPA, or even the dept of ag (who then would have contacted these agencies), the sewer system would have been flushed and all costs and expenses would have went to him.
  8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

In Texas, you would get caught with a big fine, and possibly jail time on that one. Probably be suspended, or license removed. They don't mess around with that stuff here. They'll give you a $2,500 ticket for carrying a sprayer with roundup in it in your truck if you don't have a license.
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I think if you are into lawn apps, you really should have a shop away from home. Especially if you live in a urban area or subdivision type neighborhood. Now if you live out in the country away from close neighbors that would be a different story.
  10. mtnzone

mtnzone LawnSite Member

holy crap that stuff went right into the water system!! not good.... think of the other people affected..