Neighborhoodleaf pickup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Jan 19, 2005.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you guys offer leaf removal to a neighborhood? Meaning have them put the leaves at the curb and you comming up to suck the leafs up. I dont know how big the piles would be and I would almost rather do a flat rate or maybe have 2 or 3 rates like $10 for a small pile 20 for a medium and 40 for a large pile. Im not sure how fast my 23 hp leaf loader can load piles yet and I see a problem with having pricing already. The reason I'm asking this is to influence a neighborhood to go with my bid cuase I found out leafs have gotten them introuble with the local goverment by some neighbors illegally dumping. Thinking this would help solve this problem. Help me out guys.

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Why wouldnt they just put it in bags and put it out for the trashmen to pick up FOR FREE?

3. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

In most areas, the trash collection can't/won't pick up leaves. I think offering this service is a great idea. Have you considered trying to get a contract with the city? As for the neighborhood, maybe you can sell them on a "fall cleanup" service, including disposing of the leaves, or a fee for removing them if they, or another service, gets the leaves to the curb. As for the fee, you might just charge by the hour. That way you know you'll make your hourly fee.

4. packerbacker

Really? Ive never heard of that. I know across the state line in KCMO they will take up to 2 bags a week and thats it. But on the KS side you can put as many out as you want and the trashmen pick it up the same time as the trash.

5. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Yea KCMO is like that. No leaves/grass unless they are in paper bags. I think KCMO has at least one pickup per season, but the trashmen wont pickup any green matter with their regular pickups.

6. packerbacker

I only have 1 customer across the state line and i have to push mow this tiny little square in his back yard, he gives me a couple very black trash bags so they cant see the grass and i put it out every week. But i do see those paper bags you are talking about all the time.

7. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

We charge people by the cubic yard of shredded leaves we haul off. It's kinda an unofficial service we offer, people see us doing our jobs and ask if we can do curbside pu.
    My leaf box is 12 x 8 x 6 so it holds 21 cu yds, we just estimate the percentage of the box we haul away and bill for that. Typically like a $20 stop charge and $5 per yard. Then we bring them back to our shop and compost them for a year and a half and sell it back to them as compost.
    We get a lot of repeat business and pick up several new customers a year. People really don't like to bag leaves and never argue about our bill.(Well two or three in 6 years, but they just don't use us next year)

8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Bush Trimmer thats exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. The city wrote the trustees of the neighborhood that they have notcied illegal dumping of lawn waste around durring the fall causing some harm to a creek or something and stoping some sewer drains. And around here it costs like 3 bucks a week to have the paper bags picked up. But who wants to put them in bags???

9. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Ur supposed to keep leaves like 300 or 500 feet away from a creek by EPA standards. They are the ones that will come down on you.

10. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

If you really want to do this, watch out for the junk people rake up in those piles. They can have anything from sticks, tree limbs, paint cans and wire in them. After all, it was on the lawn so it is lawn waste, right?

A fellow asked if we could pick up the leaves his kids had raked along the street line. Easy to get to and easy to pick up. Right. It was a road ditch, 2-3 deep x 150' long. They had been raking the leaves and other crap into the ditch so long, the leaves on the bottom were turn septic. The ditch wouldn't flow anymore,. That's why they wanted them picked up. (Found out later the township was going to cite them for illegal dumping and blocking the road ditch.)

That was the only job we ever walked away from. We only pick up what we rake/collect as part of our service. Our equipment is to expensive and valuable to use as garbage disposal units.

Sometimes, the work is just not worth the cost.

JIm