Neighborly water problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drsogr, Feb 27, 2005.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

On my own property today I ran a water line from my sump pump going to within 4' of my rear property line, behind the house. We have basically a river going underneath our home, so we are constantly having water problems. I had this line ran into my front yard but my yard was front was constantly flooding.

So I ran this line, and then was back filling it in, and my neighbor comes out and tells me, you can't do that! I told him yes, I can, its in my yard, its my water, I can do whatever I want with it. So he tells me, well you need to put a retaing wall up on the property line to make sure that none of the water gets into my yard. I told him, that I am going to do the same thing that I do when water goes into my other neighbors homes...nothing. I was trying to explain to him that water is supposed to go towards the rear of the home and down through the property lines to drain out properly. He didn't believe me, he told me to call the city and get someone out here tomorrow. So I am going to call them. Does anyone know what the city will do about this, or what I am responsible for, all I am doing is flooding the back 4' of my yard, which is utility easement.

Thanks,
    Derek

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Derek, up here it depends on where the water is going and if it is doing harm. If the water is somehow migrating to the neighbors property you may be told to change it. These are all case by case problems and it depends on your local ordinances and facilities for dealing with clean water runoff. It can get to be a nasty problem and no doubt will cause hard feelings. Let me know how it is resolved. I wish I had water runoff problems, hell everything is frozen and covered in snow here. Good Luck.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

We have the same deal here. You cannot do any changes or construction which would allow water to drain onto adjoining properties.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

have to agree with Mow Ed on this one. I personally think that the local city is going to come down on you

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, There are strick rules u must obide by any time u change the flow of drainage water. My wife served on the local drainage board for a year. I was amazed how much consideration drainage water gets in not only new construction, but in simple modifacations as well. Check with your local dept of drainage, it is a real eye opener.

6. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

Given-nobody wants more water in their yard from others, especially if it is a wet area. You are not changing the grade or drainage of the yard, just your sump pump kickout. In NW IN and IL, the sump pumps are to kick out into the yard or dry well, not down the sewer. You may have pushed the limit with your neighbors tolorance by putting it that close to his yard.

If the grade in your backyard is indeed set up to drain away from the houses to the utility easement, and away from other houses, you are probabally ok with the local authorities. My bet is that if you put up a wall to dam the water movement or change the grade, you will get fined. Perhaps you could have moved the hose back away from the property line to drain on top of the soil downhill so not to shove it in your neighbors face, expalin what you are doing and how it does not affect his yard before you start the project, or do your work at night.

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I would try and compromise with your neighbor or somehow come to a solution that works for you both. Nothing is worse than a problem with your neighbor. If you ever go for a variance on your home you will need (at least in some cases I've known) to get permission from all adjacent properties. They hav ethe right to deny the variance. Just some food for thought.

Also, about your specific drain issue...if you have proper grade away from the house why not just have the piping come out 2-4' from the house...NOT the length of your property. Sorry, I'm a little confused as to why you have to run the pipe all the way to the easement.

8. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Most town's & county laws in my area say you must put a drainage pit and run all leaders and sump water into pit and allow it to drain itself at a slower rate it basically looks like a septic tank with a bunch a holes all around it and backfilled with crushed stone we do alot of these system especially when people put on addition's it's mandatory!