Neighbors Busting My Chops

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by usg2949, Sep 16, 2004.

1. usg2949

usg2949 LawnSite Member

My neighbors have been busting my chops for working so much on my lawn. I have to admit, I am very anal about my lawn but I hate when neighbors lawns look like dookie. Do any of you get grief from your neighbors about working to much on your lawn? My wife tells me I am not obsessed, I am possessed.

2. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

Yeah, my neighbor always mentions how often I cut the grass and makes fun of my stripes.

3. I get the gesture "How the heII am I supposed to keep up with you mowing 3 times a week!" form my neighbor often. I also heard about how I got a "jump" on fertilizing this past spring - that's why mine is greener now.

It's all in good fun

:p

4. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

DITTO!! But I (hopefully we all) get just as many "Wow, your lawn looks great" comments as well. Well worth it all!!

5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

It's just another hobby, that's all. Different people put more energy into different things.
    I think there are a lot worse things you can be doing, and see nothing wrong with making your lawn look immaculate!

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Related story - My buddy built a new home in a sub. He had a nice looking lawn at his old place and wanted the same at his new house. The problem was that there was no topsoil, only rock hard clay. He asked me what he needed to put in a nice lawn. I told him he needed to remove 6-8" of clay. Spread 2" of compost on top, till it in to the remaining clay , then add 6-8" of topsoil back on the yard. Well, after 100 yards of compost, 300 yds of topsoil and about 3 months of sweat , he was ready for a lawn. His neighbors all thought he was nuts for doing all that work. The neighbors even went so far as to bring lawn chairs over and drink beer while jeering and watching him bust his hump. We hydroseeded a 100% KBG seed mix on July 29. Well, lo and behold, guess who has the best looking lawn. Now, they are coming over looking for advice. He told them to go pee up a rope.

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

yeah, lol. my neighbor is always coming over. My wife and I always joke about him. His famous line is "Whatta ya doin now?" I get the feeling he really doesn't like to see us making improvements.

I've never really taken care of my own lawn that well. :eek: I figured this year, it would be in my best interest to make it look a little better if I was going to try to sell a service doing the same. :D So, he asked me what I'm doing different this year because it looks so much better. Cutting higher, aerating, stopped collecting, paying closer attention to fert schedule.

His response, "well, I've only fertilized once this year, that's why mine doesn't look that good."

Whatever, it don't matter to me, but I've seen him out there at least a dozen times with the spreader! :laugh:

8. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I hear the same thing from my neighbors and I love it. We had my daughters 2nd bday this weekend and a few people commented on the lawn looks like a baseball field. I love my lawn and taking care of it.

At work, I'm the resident on lawn care b/c everyone knows i'm anal about my lawn.

9. kakuenzli

kakuenzli LawnSite Member

Each Saturday morning, I am out in my yard hand picking any weeds I may have out of the bermuda. My neighbors just mow right over their weeds if they have some. My father-in-law teases me at times about how anal I can be with the yard.

10. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

Being "anal" though has it's rewards :cool2:

[​IMG]