Neighbors in a stare down

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Aug 17, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We picked up a new account where the two neighbors don't get along, so for two weeks now every time we mow the damn lady does nothing but sit and watch with the nastiest glare and walk over while we are mowing to see if we mowed on any of her property. It kind of bothers me, being followed back and forth being stared at.

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

been there, it's probably one of those keepng up with the jones's situations, that's happening in my n'hood now too

3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in the middle of a neighbor dispute over hedges.The "drunk" neighbor wanted them down(said she couldn't see out her driveway) and asked me to do it several times.I kept telling her it's not my call, the homeowner has to ask me to do it. I'm not doing it without her permission.I told the homeowner that the neighbor was getting on my nerves and she said "No way" she didn't want them "chopped up"

Finally one day while i was there mowing the two neighbors went at it.. yelling back and forth, calling each other names, threatening the whole nine yards.My worker and I just stood there like what do we do now.The neighbor still comes out and watches me mow to this day but hasn't said anything in a few weeks. It's a crappy situation to be in but not a whole lot you can do. I just pretend she isnt there.

4. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds quite torturous. I hate that crap. Try to blow clippings on her. Make it a game. I'd stare back and act crazy too. Who needs that. Or...be really nice to her and ask her if there is anything you need to be aware of that would make it easier for all....who am I kidding. Blow dust on her. Lots of it.

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try one of the following two approaches with this lady.

Number one, if she really bothers you to all distraction, tell her the evil eye act causes you anguish, and if she doesnÂ’t quit you will poke it out.

Number two,just go about your business of mowing and let the evil eye fly lol.

6. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Or get my cousin vinny, I mean bobby gedd to have a wacking arranged.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

HA Ha see man above ^^ who do you think whacks harder ? 5'6" or 6'7" and lets not forget the extra 150 pds :D

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

When I get people who stare at me either sitting or standing in visibility while I am mowing and it starts bothering me... I turn my mower straight toward them, turn my mower off, cross my legs, and stare back at them until they get more spooked than I was at them staring at me and leave. Its really worth the time wasted to get their reaction when you stop and stare back at them.

9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that it bothers. I should have just asked WWBD "what would Bobby do? Great now I gave him an idea and he will make millions.LOL :dizzy:

10. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in similar situations where neighbors dont get along and they hold it against the lawnguy because he's working for the neighbor. One guy would not let us park our truck in front of his house (next to account, we park accross the street or the next house down so we can edge & blow the curb). And he would not let us edge the side of our customers driveway that bordered his lawn (normal cutting here is driveway to driveway, and edge both sides of your customers drive). Now he couldnt legally stop us from parking in front of his house I know (and there was no reason for him to complain, our trucks are well maintained and do not leak anything), but I honestly feared this nut might come out shooting, so I did not tempt fate. And he edged the side of the drive, so it was less work for me. It did make it miserable to cut the customers lawn though knowing somebody hated your guts and was watching your every move just because of WHO you worked for and not because of the work you were doing.

Normally though, people watching me does not bother me. I am especially used to the senior citizens hanging out and sitting on the porch while we work. Not so much to keep an eye on us, but just becuase thats what they do for a large part of the afternoon. I'm ok with being watched like that.

Kevin