1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Neighbor's Leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scraper, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Last Friday I pulled up to one of my jobs to see the entire curb length piled with leaves. It was obviously from the lawn across the street as there was not a leaf on the lawn and it was freshly cut. This home is taken care of by another LCO. ( I use the term "LCO" very loosely in this instance!) As I was raking it up all I could see was mulched leaves and fresh clippings. I raked up the majority filling 12 bags with leaves then I did the most unprofessional thing I think I've done....I blew the scraps that I didn't rake up back across the street up against the curb.

Early in the season I had just finished up mowing and was finishing up blowing working my way back to my truck when I watched this same "LCO" blow their debris right up against the curb which I had just cleared. All I could do was stand there with my arms out and say "what the F do you think you're doing?" They ended up blowing it back that time, but I have been dealing with this all summer, although it's worse now that the leaves have started. Problem is I think they come the day before I do!!! :(

I do hope for their sake that I do not see them this week! Sorry for the longwindedness, but needed to vent!

I guess I'll just have to explain the added clean-up charge to my customer....maybe they can handle it. Any thoughts?
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand why they dumped them on someone elses property. If that really was the case then those 12 bags would have been unloaded across the street. Did I miss something?
  3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I would send a letter to your customer and the neighbor explaining the situation. If you confront the other LCO you might end up in a game of negative one upsmanship.

By involving his customer it will put him on the defensive and he will be required to act professionally to maintain his client.

This is a tough spot to be in.
  4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow Ed...I raked up the 12 bags that they had blown over to my side of the street and left them for my customer to dispose of. The frontage for this property is approx. 250 feet! ArgggH! The more I think about it the more P'd I get!!!!

Good idea Toroguy...I might just try that!
  5. Scraper it's too early in the season to worry about picking up leaves.

What I would have done was taken my 52" leaf grinder and made one or two passes along your account curb to grind them to bits and scatter the bits into the street.

When the next big gust of wind comes along they will someone
    elses problem.

I would not even talk to the other LCO. I would just go to the courthouse and look up his accounts name and send them a low ball quote to rid yourself of the problem completely.

What you should be doing NOW is going to the courthouse and getting the names of all the homeowners that are adjacent to your existing accounts.

Take the time now to measure these accounts. Then send them a letter of introduction stating you do Mr/Ms whatevers turf and send them a proposal now and follow up with another
    copy in early spring as soon as the weather breaks.

Since you don't have to move the truck you can lowball a bit to secure the job then raise the prices in coming years.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

First thing that comes to mind is " who else in the aera saw me do this...the old laby that sit at the window, or the driver passing on the street.

Things i want a customer or the general public to see:
    putting on a new set of blades
    checking the equipt
    getting organzied
    bending down to pick up a peice of debris
    taking a second look and re touch up somthing
    waving too all
    smiling at all times
    writing notes
    talking to another lawn compay
    and anything elses that when you look my way all you think

Things i want NO ONE TO SEE
    Anything that cast a shadow on my integretiy.

just my own thoughts at work here

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 10-23-2000 at 07:23 PM]
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Those are words to work by Bushmaster!
  8. Lawn Cruiser

Lawn Cruiser LawnSite Member

I think that I would aproach the customer across the street and let them know were their leaves are and how they got there. Then offer to give them a bit.
  9. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You have mention before about going to the courthouse to get name of homeowners in a certain area. In today's technology those lists are made public to us provided through the internet. Looking through a county website you can get appraisal information on any home and the homeowners name as well as address(in case the hose is being rented...we use to see if a customer is renting) This may not be available to everyone..but has been a vaulable tool to us.
  10. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

JEEZ Stone, you play DIRTY!