neighbors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Dec 15, 2000.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently mow 13 of my neighbors lawn and im only 14. This past year i swithched to all comercial equipent Exmark metro mower, echoo2100, and stil handheld blower. Right now i am charging an average of $20 per yard. These yards are about a 1/4 to 1/3 of an acre and people tell me there yards never loked better. It takes me about 45 minutes to do an average yard. I cut the yards about everyweek the cheaper ones wait two to 4 weeks. I was wandering if I should raise the prices to $25. What is the best way to do this and the best time? What can I do that will convince people to get there grass cut every week?

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

45 minutes for a 1/4 to 1/3 acre lot?IS your metro a 21"?I think you should go up to at least $25,if that is the going rate in the area,its probably more,and i bet you arent insured or anything,so you have to be a little cheaper since your neighbors have to write off any damage you do by accident.Sounds like you've got a good start for 14 yrs old,at your age its not bad to net 250+ a week for 16 hrs work.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

45 minutes for a 1/4 to 1/3 acre lot?IS your metro a 21"?I think you should go up to at least $25,if that is the going rate in the area,its probably more,and i bet you arent insured or anything,so you have to be a little cheaper since your neighbors have to write off any damage you do by accident.Sounds like you've got a good start for 14 yrs old,at your age its not bad to net 250+ a week for 16 hrs work.

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

no its a 36 with out a velke and im new at operating it so I will probably pick up the pace next season.

5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

You must be the richest entrepaneur in your high school. Hope everything works out for you.

Good Luck.

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

You go boy! I hope my son has an interest in working when he gets that age! I would tell your customers that you have upgraded your equipment so you can do the best possible work. Explain to them the benefits of mulching and let them read a pamphlet that Exmark puts out. They may see the added benefit and ask you to mow it weekly for a while. If not weekly, put them on a 10 day schedule. Ask for the $5.00 increase based on the fact that you have made a substantial investment in your future. Keep up the good work, and study accounting!

Homer

7. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Grassy: Your customer lot sizes sound similar to mine, but I think once you master the machine you should be able to knock off at least 5-10 minutes on each yard. I figure 35 minutes start to finish with a TT 36" hydro. I guess the big question is what is the going rate in your area? In my area it is 30-35 for 1/3 acre. Since I am building a customer base, I am charging between 20-30 with most in the 24-28 range. Once I have a well established customer base I intend to bring prices up just a bit with the newer customers. Good luck to you. It is nice to hear a young adult with drive and motivation. You will do well.

8. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

Hey grassy
    Congrads on choosing this line of work.Keep up the good work and be honest with your customers and you will go far.I suggest adjusting your prices next year.Use an average of 25.00 to 30.00 for less than an acre.More for bigger lawns.I personally have a 30.00 minimum.Get all of those free publications to read up on.They really have helped me.I have a list on my site.keep your expenses low until you get astablished good.Good luck.john :)

9. toroboy

toroboy LawnSite Member

Hey grassyfras. I think you should charge at least $25.00,if your customer thinks you really do a good job.If you have a customer that is picky ,because he wants his yard to be perfect and you take extra time doing it. I think
    you should at least $25 and I think doing it for $30 is not a high price depending on the size of the lawn.

KEEP THE LAWN CLEAN

toroboy

10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Out here in these forums we all see alot of dollars being thrown around for pricing. As business men and women we can evaluate these figures as to whether or not we are charging to little or if we are within OUR fair market value. We also have the opportunity to decide if we may be charging too much as well.

My father taught me an important lesson about business. No matter what business you are in you are ALWAYS selling yourself. I think it is important for you to keep in mind that you are not selling Lawn Care but grassyfras. And by selling grassyfras you are selling VALUE. You have compassion for your lawns as most of us here do. So its thru the quality of your work and with this next season you will begin to master your new equipment. Once you have accomplished this you can then turn to your customer's and sell yourself, which is when I would adjust the price. And as your quality of work grows so will your wallet.

Just remeber VOLUME in my opion does not equal PROFIT. Remember as well that most of OUR clientel associate our prices as having overhead attached. Unfortunately some of yours may not, whether you desrve it or not. And I'm glad to see a young face amongst us.

Best wishes in your venture.
    Kris