1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

neighoor lawn care business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CJIII, Feb 16, 2003.

1. CJIII

CJIII LawnSite Member

Got a question? I think its about time for me to get started in lawn care service, I done took my GED just waiting on the sorces. but anyway I would like to know what lawn mower do remend for neighoor business?
  2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Depends on your skill level, knowledge level, ability to perform the task at hand, your pocket book, and what kind of neighborhood your talking about. There's many more things to this business to consider other than the type mower you will use.

To answer your question in a round about way. I say...Exmark...Scag...Hustler...Ferris...Lesco...Dixie Chopper...Great Dane...Toro...John Deere...Howard Price...Gravely.......to just name a few.

Good Luck to you.
  3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

dont tell anybody i said this but wallys got a 17 hp hydrostat murry for 1098.
    here. ive used one a lot and still use one for a backup.a lotta bang for the buck.
    then after u been in a while u can decide what type pro mower suits u best.
    yes its tough enoug for a couple o yrs commercial work.if u are going commercial to start ,i can recommend the lazer by exmark.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Spell Check:dizzy:
  6. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't have much capital to start out with then check your local classifieds for something cheap. Spend a few hundred bucks and buy whatever you can find...give it a try for a season or so...see how you like the business...if you feel confidnent to stick with it then upgrade your equipment from there. Good luck...
  7. CJIII

CJIII LawnSite Member

ya thats a good idea.
  8. Turp

Turp LawnSite Member

I have a part-time residential business that I've done for about 9 years. Here's my 2 cents worth.

Get some good quality small equipment like your blowers and trimmers. If you buy cheap it will cost you more in the long term because of hard starting, breakdowns & frequent replacement. My suggestions here:

Robin, Stihl, Echo Don't compromise here!

As far as mowers. I started with consumer grade riding mowers on accounts that were tough because I took what I could get. This was a mistake. I should have only taken accounts that required a push mower to begin with.

Don't take on residential accounts that need a riding mower.

Here's why:

A consumer grade riding mower will need frequent replacement & repair.

Figure cost of purchase versus how much money you will make with that mower per hour not per yard. I can take a $200 blower, $200 trimmer and a $170 push mower and make at least $20 per hour pretty easy. That's with $570 worth of equipment versus the cost of buying the cheapest riding mower at $1,000 and then add the trimmer and blower with not much more money per hour.

Transport. Will you need a trailer?

My recommendation would be to get a high wheel push mower and the small equipment and start with small accounts.

Some other things you might consider is whether you will need a business license which is easy to get and liability insurance is good to have.

Good Luck
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Sorry guy, but based on your post, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high on that GED thing! Sheesh!
    I'm not even going to give you an "E" for Effort!
    What is a "neighboor business" anyway?

Anyway, I'm going to answer your question with a question. What size are the lawns that you intend to service?
    Either way, get a commercial unit whether it's a 21", or a big ZTR. Stay away from cheap homeowner stuff.
  10. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

The one thing that BURNS me up is some of the A** H*** that get off making fun of some people there. Because they can't spell very good. This guy just ask for help. not your smart mouth. It's better just let someone get on the governments's pay roll. or at least he is trying.